• Register Today It's free!

Gear ratio and 33s

davebar

Reaction score
City, State
Kirtland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I am putting on my 33s now. Will I notice much in power loss running 33s? I guess the question really is, do I really need to change gears? I have been reading about the gears on the site and cant figure out if I need them or not. I am planning to put in a locker soon too. So, I guess if I have it apart, it would be a good time to swap gears too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on the type of driving you're going to be doing with it and the current ratio setup in it now. If your primary usage of it is for road driving go with 4.10's (which are found in stock explorers at the JY) If you want descent low end on the trails go with 4.56's but then will require you to get your axles re-geared.

duuuuuuuuuh. I dont know....Guess that would help huh.

OK, just checked my door...

Axle is a 46 so 3.73c
trans is a D

Hope that helps

Depends on the type of driving you're going to be doing with it and the current ratio setup in it now. If your primary usage of it is for road driving go with 4.10's (which are found in stock explorers at the JY) If you want descent low end on the trails go with 4.56's but then will require you to get your axles re-geared.

Davebar, I would follow this advice.

3.73's and 33's won't be that awful but it's not going to be great on the road or on the trail. So make your decision between some used 4.10 explorer axles or regearing yours to 4.56 depending on your budget and/or intended use for the truck.

So, going to the 4.10 or 4.56 should be done when I do the locker then. Thanks for the help.

4.56 hands down!!dont even waste you time with 4.10,hell i would go 4.88 if you dont do alot of highway driving.i ran 4.88 and 33s for awhile and LOVED IT,but on the highway it was screaming!!! never fear the gear!!!

4.30s will put you back to what stock felt like, as well as returning your speedo to the correct accuracy within a couple percent. I run 4.56s with 35s for a mainly off road driver although I will go 4.88s when I pull the rear back apart. And yes, do gears and locker at the same time. Its the same amount of work either way!

They don't make the 4.30s for the front so it's either 4.10 or 4.56. Unless of course this is a 2wd truck.

Also, your 4.56s with 35s is basically at the stock ratio. Not even close to low enough (for me) for off-road.

Yea even with the 5.0 i would go way bigger than 4.56 and 35 for an off road truck!!

Ahh, I failed to think about front gears, haha. My bad. 4.56 is slightly higher than my stock ratio by 2%. Its fine and has plenty of power. When I made the ratio decision I drove it on the road about half and half with my other truck and now I dont. I'm not going to bother changing the ratio until I go with a fabricated rear end housing and have the 3rd member stuffed with goodies and some 5:47s. Besides going "way" bigger than 4.56 isn't the greatest idea for an 8.8. The highest they make is a 5.13 and I would not put that in my truck for desert driving. Maybe rock crawling and stuff, but I'm not interested in that side of the spectrum.

i have a 96 sport with 3.27 gears 5 speed and 33" tires and it sucks ass.

If I do the rear, I assume I need to do the front too so the match?

yes you do,

i have 4:10 gears and run a 33 inch tire on my 96 when i want good fuel economy.
it works out and my speedometer is almost exact,
it could use a bit more rpm when crawling, but it is a trade off for mpg to off roading.

4.10's with 33's puts you closest to the same ratio as the stock 3.73's and P235 tires.

Bringing this back from the dead. I have a 99 explorer eddie bauer awd 5.0. How do I know what gears are in it? I want to run 32" or 33" tires. If I don't want to change the gearing will 32' tires be significantly better than the 33" with the factory gears. I am hoping I have 4:10 gears. If that is the case that would seem like a pretty good match with the 32' tires. I feel that if I go 32" tires I will always think "should have got the 33s". I am a little intimidated by installing new gears. :feedback::fart: This is all so confusing.

Check the door sticker for the axle code and then see what you have here.

41 — 3.27 non-limited slip
45 — 3.55 non-limited slip
46 — 3.73 non-limited slip
42 — 4.10 non-limited slip
D1 — 3.27 limited slip
D5 — 3.55 limited slip
D4 — 3.73 limited slip
D2 — 4.10 limited slip

Hi just wondering if my front diff has standard 3.73 limited slip so the front should be same 3.73 ratio too right...?

I am planning to get a Ford Racing Gear Ring and Pinion 4.56:1 Ratio Ford 8.8 in. for the rear but I cannot find a 4.56:1 ratio for the front Ford, only for JEEP WRANGLER DANA 35 4.56 RING & PINION... would that be okay? I am worried about the splines on the pinion, would it be the same for ford..?

please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the d4 would that be ok with 32" tires?

Back