What maintenance at 93,000mi? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What maintenance at 93,000mi?

Paul7

Reaction score
I've got a new to me 2007 ex limited with the 4.6, Spark plugs were done by the local ford dealer as part of purchase agreement.

what should I be changing at this time, the rad doesn't look like its been flushed so I'll be doing that asap.

What about the tranny? its the 6 sp (I believe) is it serviceable at home?

Diffs and transfer case I'm assuming should be all changed out.

Should I stick with factory oils or splurge on the expensive synthetics?

I'm planning on running this truck for a very long time.

Also are there any known issues that I should be investigating?

Currently great power and no check engine light but I'm getting 12 mpg mixed driving and thought that seems kinda low? Before buying I was reading on the forum about getting 15 combined driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think fluids, like you said, are good ideas. I like synthetics there.

Do a fuel filter. Also, check the air filter

Also, not sure of the involvement on your ex, but if the rad is drained may as well throw a new thermostat in too.

I've got a new to me 2007 ex limited with the 4.6, Spark plugs were done by the local ford dealer as part of purchase agreement.

what should I be changing at this time, the rad doesn't look like its been flushed so I'll be doing that asap.

What about the tranny? its the 6 sp (I believe) is it serviceable at home?

Diffs and transfer case I'm assuming should be all changed out.

Should I stick with factory oils or splurge on the expensive synthetics?

I'm planning on running this truck for a very long time.

Also are there any known issues that I should be investigating?

Currently great power and no check engine light but I'm getting 12 mpg mixed driving and thought that seems kinda low? Before buying I was reading on the forum about getting 15 combined driving.

It's a good thing you made them change the plugs. That's a problematic area for the 4.6L.

I just bought mine in October 2012. I took the lazy route and let my local Ford dealer change the tranny fluid and do a coolant flush. My plugs had been changed by the previous owner.

Overall, I prefer the synthetic fluids. I think they're worth the extra bucks.

I live in a big city and average 12.9 MPG in heavy traffic so your milage sounds about right. One section I drive on the way home is flat and straight and, if I reset the meter, I get about 21-23MPG crusing at 50 MPH. On the freeway going about 70MPH I get around 16 MPG.

I think fluids, like you said, are good ideas. I like synthetics there.

Do a fuel filter. Also, check the air filter

Also, not sure of the involvement on your ex, but if the rad is drained may as well throw a new thermostat in too.

Good call on the thermostat! where are they located on these vehicles?

Your upper radiator hose should lead to the thermostat housing. I believe (basing this off a '97) 2 15 mm bolts hold the housing in place. remove the bolts and the thermostat fits right in.

Doesn't the manual tell u the maintenance schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

i get 15.7 mixed with k&n air filter and flowmaster muff stock piping
no res. i like you had the dealer fix a few other defects along with a spark
plug replacement. also my wife likes to run defrost all the time and has a lead foot. i have the 4.6. i also use ams oil synthetic oil with no problems also use a wix filter with anti drain back

Our Explorer gets 10MPG for short trip suburban use. Only able to muster 20MPG at 65MPH on the freeway. We've only owned our '06 since 10-11-2012, but I've repaired or replaced:

• Memory Pedal poor connection
  • Rear Wiper bushing seized
  • Gut wrenching spark plug replacement
  • Pitted Chrome Grill
Still holding my breath till wheel bearing and/ or radiator goes. I've just learned to accept this vehicle is an extravagance. But you only live once, and at least I didn't pay $40,000.00 for it!

Even with the wealth of information on EF, spend $20-$25 on a Hayne's
or Ford Workshop manual (Ebay). Will pay for itself after the first repair. GL

http://www.worldpartsinfo.com/Ford/...ated+Parts,+2006/From:+07/19/2005;+4.6L+3V+V8

Wow, nice diagram of the thermostat assembly! I'm interested in where you obtained that.

I second the suggestion for buying manuals. The owner's manual is free. 2007 ford explorer,explorer sport trac repair,parts and wiring manual is $20.00 for a PDF version and well worth that, but needs to be supplemented by the 2007 Ford Car Truck Powertrain Control/Emissi​ons Diagnosis Service Manual.

I'd consider flushing the brake lines and power steering system. My brake fluid showed high metals at 55k miles.

I wouldn't bother with synthetic motor oil if you don't operate in the extremes. Several F150 UOAs on BITOG.com show that conventional is up to the task in the 5k to 6k OCI range.

do you have to go to dealer for flushe powersteering and brakeline. never heard of doing that.

do you have to go to dealer for flushe powersteering and brakeline. never heard of doing that.

Nope, I did the brake lines myself and I'm not particularly mechanically inclined. It's a little labor intensive but low tech. Plenty of YouTube videos on it. I haven't done the power steering yet but I plan to. Can't be much more difficult.

I was quoted $75 for the brake flush by a tire shop, but I'm sure they wouldn't have done as complete a flush as I did.

IDK about the 06, but the front diff on my 98 was a biotch! Stuck a suction gun tube in there and got maybe half! No way I was trying to pull the cover.

The tranny can be serviced at home, but may not be worth it. You will likely have to remove the lines to do it. Pay the $100!

I use a suction gun to pull fluid from my power steering reservoir and refill. Then one more time after diving it for a day or two. Not perfect, but gets most the fluid.

Brake flush is not a bad idea. Consider speed bleeders.

Transfer case is easy. Might need a fluid pump though. Screw it onto an ATF bottle, cost about $5.

Serpentine belt?
Shocks?

Back