what paint for suspension parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what paint for suspension parts

well ive been wanted to paint a few things on my suspension and steering for a while, and im finally ready to give it a try, but i dont know what paint i should use? im to cheap to afford powder coating, and since my skyjakcer stuff is coming soon, and those are red, i was thinking paintin some other stuff red also, but what kind of paint do i use for this? regular spray paint?

ps. you thinkg a blue explorer would look good with red susp parts?

walmart spray truck bed coat

If its bare metal, clean it well and I like to rattle can it with epoxy paint.

Rust-Oleum has a rattle can epoxy for appliances - Works great for ~$5 a can. While all paints will eventually scratch to reveal the surface undernearth if enough force is applied, this epoxy paint will only scrape at the contact point and will not chip or flake around the area.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=33&SBL=1

I like to use the white epoxy paint as the base coat, and a darker enamel for a top-coat. Should the enamel on top scratch, the white epoxy layer on the bottom shows up which indicates exposed surface that needs to be re-painted. Here are my wheels with the white epoxy as the base coat and a moss-green as top coat:
14bolt_TSLs.jpg

I've also used this epoxy paint on new driveshafts and other suspension/drivetrain parts. My rear driveshaft has been rolled on rocks and the rust that has resulted after a few rainy days has not crept at all (3 months after rolling the driveshaft)

EDIT: in addition, if you're going somewhere dirty, try to stick with glossy or semi-glossy paint as its easier to wash mud/dirt off from the paint. Stay away from "satin" or "flat" paints cauz dirt sticks to these paints very well -- just look at the chassis and everything else underneath the body in the image above - thats undercoating which is very bumpy and doesnt leave a glossy finish, hence the dirt thats there forever.

Back