• Register Today It's free!

what rim is this.. info needed

joeyd0730

Reaction score
City, State
queens, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 mountaineer
attached is a pic of wheels I purchased. I was told they are from a explorer. I have a 04 mountaineer. they are the same size as my current rims. stock 17". my 04 tpms sensors do not fit in the new wheels. the hole is the same size but the sensor hits the offset on the inside of the new rims. does anyone know what tpms sensors I need for that rim? and will they work with my 04? I am pretty sure the new rims are a lot newer than mine, thanks in advance for any help. for now I had rubber valve stems installed..

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 234

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

btw the new rim is a ford 17x7.5 rim

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 219

The number says it came from an 03 or later Explorer/Mountaineer.

I personally went to GT rims from my 07 Mustang. They were 8.5 wide and 17 in diameter, so that was perfect for the Explorer. The wider rim, with 235/65R17 tires, made all the difference in the world in ride and cornering. Corners I had to slow to 30-35 on, now are 50 or better. The truck just hugs the corners now. I would of never thought I would get this much better ride and handling, just from a wider rim. I'm sold. So sold, that this next summer, I'm going to use my spare set of 18' Mustang Bullitt rims, with 255/45/18 on them for daily driving. I already checked, and the clearance and turn radius is not affected. They should work great and give it a sportier look than that of the current GT rims.

The wheels you have, also take the center caps that have the 5 mount tubes, sitting about 3/4 of an inch longer than the sides of the cap. This is the type for the deep recess you have for the lug nuts. I hope that makes sense to you.

You should of had tire stem style TPMS right? Not the band around the rim. I checked Oro-Tek and it calls for an OTI-002, so it isn't compatible with the blue or black TPMS band units that Ford used in 05 and up to 09 or so. They then went to the valve stem type entirely.

If your sensor won't fit the wheel, it may not be cut to fit those style sensors. Not many cars had them in 04 yet, so the rims didn't all have the cut outs or recesses the newer ones have. Also, the frequency is different. Fords in 07 up, used 315 mh. You use a set of 433 wheel TPMS sensors. Oro-Tekusa.com has OTI-002's (433 mh) available for your truck that supposedly fit correctly. I switched to these type on my Mustang, to get rid of the band types, but had to use OTI-001's (315 mh).

yes I had a valve stem tpms not band, thanks for all the help guys... I went with a aftermarket dorman tpms sensor..$34each. they program same as factory with a magnet and are much smaller and fit he rims perfect,, the angle is adjustable so they will fit many rims,,, thanks again

Back