• Register Today It's free!

What rotors should I buy?

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
My factory brakes on my '06 are already pulsating at 40k miles. I'm tired of the same ol' local auto parts store Chinese "stuff." Are there any rotors that are still made in the USA? I'd appreciate any suggestions for some good aftermarket rotors and pads. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your factory rotors are not Chinese "stuff." Most aftermarket rotors are, but if you ask you should easily find auto parts store rotors from Canada.

Most eBay rotors are the cheap made in China crap. Rotors are not as critical as most people suggest. The pads and brake fluid are much more important, yet most people buy the crap Chinese pads and cheap brand fluids. Most brake problems are from poor care and cheap pad choices.

Concentrate on brake pads, and fluid, not rotors.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize that the pads were more important than the rotors. That's definitely something to think about. The rotor names that seem to be surfacing are Power Slot, EBC, Brembo, and Wagner. The Hawk pads seem to be highly recommended. I also heard good things about an Auto Zone pad. I've had good luck in the past with NAPA rotors and the ceramic formula pads......very little if any dust. Some Hawk pad testimonials mentioned dust. I checked the Power Slot web site and it didn't show a rotor for an '06 X. I'm going to call them and ask. It's difficult to find the name of a rotor cast in the US or Canada. I saw one company that claims they are machined here. I'm probably overkilling this whole thing and should stick with what's worked for me in the past...but those Power Slot rotors do look COOL!!

You should be able to call a couple of parts stores and get them to tell you where their rotors are made. Those from Canada have always stated it on the boxes.

I had very little good fortune with any parts store brand pads. I'm a mailman, I know brakes. Most aftermarket brands do well, not the cheap stuff with a forever warantee at the parts stores. EBC, Performance friction, Raybestos, those are very good. I've had bad Hawk pads, but the same can be said by most people about each brand. Try to find a big name brand regardless of the warantee.

In the absence of a better choice than the parts store cheap pads, buy Ford pads. OEM pads are the standard, cheap pads are worse, many aftermarket brands are equal or better.

Yup, I would go with Raybestos or Ford OEM. Same with the pads.

They are warping on you.. I'd go with high performance aftermarket slotted rotors and some quality pads like Hawk. My DD has a tendency to warp rotors or should I say I have a tendency. I ordered EBC's slotted/dimpled rotors and pads.. Just have to install them after the stock pads wears down.

Back