What;s the latest in satellite radio? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What;s the latest in satellite radio?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
What;s the latest in satellite radio?

What services are you guys using? Why one over the other?

Whar hardware? Antenna?

How can you use a satellite reciever with an existing HU?

Thanks.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XM.

I like the format of the stations. They have DJs, but not the same crap you hear on the regular radio. They just tell you what songs are coming up and have been played and a bit of info about some of the bands. They also have special events where they will feature specific artists.

XM also carries CNET radio which I really enjoy. It's a tech talk type format. I have found a lot of good websites from that.

They also have old time radio shows. I love the old CBS mystery theatre stuff!

I have a mag mount that looks like a sharks fin, and Char has a little rectangular antenna that adheres with double sided tape.

Unplug the antenna cable from your HU plug it into the XM unit and then take another cabel from the XM to the HU and that's it.

Rick,

Whic unit(s) do you have?

How did you mount them?

Thanks.....

So rick if you are going through the FM antenea from your existing head unit that means you tune the radio to a certain frequency , just like an add on CD changer correct?

The reason I aks is because when you run through an FM modulator like this you are getting an analog signal, and I thought the point of CD changers and XM satelite radio is to be digital......

I have been considering a new HU but I wont give up my mini discs, I do want XM capable though.....

I wish you could broadcast internet radio stations to your car without havingto go through a mobile modem, etc.....imagine listening to techno from spain on my way to Moab.....thats what I am waiting for. real time in car internet access......and the $$$$ to get it. :)

XM tuners don't have to be setup with an analog conversion. If your HU has IP Bus inputs you get pure digital. That is the best way to to, but in our case we didn't want to lay out the $$$ for new HUs for our vehicles.

The FM modulated XM tuner has both options so if we get a new IP Bus HU in the future our XM tuner will plug right in.

Not available in Hawaii.....sucks!!

Ahhh but year round sunshine is!

Back