What shocks for ultimate smooth ride? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What shocks for ultimate smooth ride?

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
Now i have adjustable koni gas shocks (red).

Too too much hard.

I want the most soft shocks what i can get. Is original ride quality motorcraft soft?

Its important that they can find on rockauto.

Ps. koni shocks have adjust 3 2 1 0. Is 3 hardest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Koni Reds shouldn't be that hard.

Stock Motorcraft shocks are very soft and will ride like a luxury car.

Monroe Sensatracs would be a good ride quality shock without being too soft.

I would say you should check other things that affect ride, like tires, tire pressure, springs and bushings, before replacing shocks.

0 should be softest and 3 should be hardest on the Koni's, but that could just affect rebound. Maybe try setting them all to 0 and see how it feels, then set them all to 3 and see if it feels firmer or softer, then you'll know for sure.

I had the red Koni in my first gen. GTi. I didn't think them as too hard, but set them to zero when I had to drive around girl friend's mom.

You don't want to have too soft of shockers on your truck. That'll give you the driving experience of a porch swing.

Well... okay. ive tried 3-0, too hard. I know that coil sprngs can effect too but ive learned that shock is important too.

I once swap hd stw coils to sedan coils my stw electra and it wasnt too soft even then, only rear end was going ground easier. Shocks vere the point in that case.

Tires are okay. Springs are too expsensive to order usa -> finland.

Not bad but im little bit disappointing of your ride softness thinking :D

Ive thinked that americans want soft and smooth ride likely their cars usually are.

In finland they but hd springs shocks etc ****ty things on usa imports and there are very **** roads! Holes, bumbs etc which in fact needs soft and smooth chassis not stonesleigh :D

Okay i know that car which have more ground clearance than personal car isnt so good to drive corners if chassis is soft but this aint no too soft if i replace shocks.

Even hd stw or dodge ram van based chassis were okay to me.

You'd be the case for old French cars then, huh? ;)

If the stock shockers are fine with you, then try the Monroe Matic that swshawaii mentioned. I still have the originals in my truck. They could be a bit more firm, but they are ok. However, mine is a two door with the short wheelbase, so it corners better than the four-door :D

You'd be the case for old French cars then, huh? ;)

If the stock shockers are fine with you, then try the Monroe Matic that swshawaii mentioned. I still have the originals in my truck. They could be a bit more firm, but they are ok. However, mine is a two door with the short wheelbase, so it corners better than the four-door :D

Aa, 2 door version is surpisely different lenght and wheelbase, new to me. Never seen 2 door in Finland.

French cars...i dont hate them like many but they are....:scratch:

My buddy has been those and gashydraulic suspension of course.

Its raw fact that nothing beats 70's american fullsize car on softness not even citroen :D

Magic carpet ride with wheel of fortune steering is best! Explorer is racing car comparised to those vehicles.

I wouldn't say Americans like super soft luxury ride, I don't :scratch: Like to feel what my car is doing. If I can't feel what the tire is doing, how am I supposed to throw it into corners??

As for getting your explorer to ride smooth... good luck. It's a body on frame truck.
If you want the smoothest ride possible, remove the torsion bars and run coilovers front and rear. I'd 4 link the back but it's up to you, 3 link, traction bars or whatever you want. Play with the spring rates and valving. Run lighter tires, something tall and skinny. 235/85r16 would be great if you could get that as a P tire. But I've only found them in the E range... and that won't be comfortable :D Maybe air bumps? Anytime you hit the bump stops, it won't be "comfortable" so I'm not sure it's worth it. Even on an all out build :D
Oh yeah, don't forget to freshen up everything. Need sway bar bushings, A-arm bushings, and ball joints. Any weight you can cut off the suspension is good, smaller brakes, machining material off the spindles (knuckles) swap the rear axle for a ranger 28 spline 8.8, ummm there's more I can come up with :cool:

But seriously, if your goal is a comfortable ride you have the wrong vehicle. Decent shocks and tight suspension is about as good as it's going to get within reason. Feel free to do any of the above suggestions though, I'd like to see it :D

Didn't notice this is the 1st gen forum oops! The TTB doesn't have torsion bars. You could run a smooth body shock up front and play with coils to adjust the spring rate. The beams are heavy, so you'll definitely want to make those lighter. :D

Now i have black motorcrafts on front.

When you press it down and up on table huhuuhh... major difference between konis.

Way softer, easy to press down and fast rebound.

Now they are in car. Its not porch swing or magic carpet, pretty tought feeling but not hard. Goes 30mph on speed bumb well but wont stay swingin.

Handling didint go bad at all.

Not so soft that i wanted but better than before.

Next i order rear shocks too.

Its raw fact that nothing beats 70's american fullsize car on softness not even citroen :D
Magic carpet ride with wheel of fortune steering is best!
This is a great quote, especially "magic carpet ride with wheel of fortune steering"! :biggthump

Glad to hear you found a decent shock.

Back