• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a smooth ride

Quick

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Ever since I've bought my Explorer I've always complained how rough the ride is over tracks, up curbs, etc. I know it's an SUV, but I've driven in newer Explorers and the ride is totally different.

So I'm now in the market for shocks. I don't do any offroading except in the winter when it snows. ;)

I am 99% street. I'm looking for a set of shocks that will give me a really smooth ride. I've been doing searches here and reading up on different types of shocks..

Monroe Reflex come up a lot. From what I understand, these have the same technology as the Edelbrock IAS shocks, but are much cheaper (which is good, I dont want to spend a lot of money).

So if I'm looking for a smooth street ride, is monroe reflex the way to go?

Thanks guys..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Monroe Reflex

I changed to the Monroe Reflex on my '97 XLT and love them. But I still had the factory shocks at 80K miles so the difference was quite startling. You can also get them with NAPA's name on them but they cost more. If you are an AAA member, Napa will give you a discount. So they work out to be about the same price as the Monroe. NAPA even uses the same part numbers as Monroe.

Like you I am about 99% street driving. I found that they give a firm but compliant ride.

I can't compare to any other brand on the Explorer, but I like them well enough that next spring I am going to be putting them on our '01 Explorer Sport as well.

the ias edelbrocks are the same as the gabriel vst's....the gabriels are pepboys brand and are way cheaper thant the edelbrocks and monroes....

NAPA is advertising a 25% off "bag" sale, today (labor day) only... if it fits in the bag they give you it's 25% off. i *think* its a normal grocery-sized bag, not an itsy-bitsy sandwich bag.

don't know if they will combine that with a AAA discount, but it woulld be worth checking into.

jimabena74

Do you have a lift on yours? The skyjacker shocks that came with my lift suck! They are a little stiff for me and create a lot of vibrational 'chatter' especially on certain concrete highways. Are the Gabriels a soft ride? I wonder if they have a model to accommodate a lift?

I replaced the stock shocks on my 96 XLT with 70,000 miles with the Gabriel VST, and they made no noticable difference at all. I guess my stock ones weren't affecting my ride as much as I thought. I would give the Monroes a try before the Gabriels.

Back