What size tire you guys recommend for the green bee? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size tire you guys recommend for the green bee?

YoungMoney_Twitch

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer xlt
I am looking for some tires & rims for the green bee I need some ideas. The 33x12.5r15 was a choice I want to go with but the offset of the rims is what I have no clue about. I have about 2” inch lift but it’s a 2 wheel drive with 3.27 gears in the rear. I don’t like body lift. Here’s the the rig. I think I could fit 33,s

1761BBEB-D3E0-4450-8E2F-17A0A330FD31.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt you can fit 33s. And with 3.27s it’d be absolutely miserable. If it’s an auto you’d be shopping for a transmission soon enough.

It still won’t have the gear to pull 33s reasonably. Standards have considerably less torque.

It still won’t have the gear to pull 33s reasonably. Standards have considerably less torque.
Yea I figured. The only way it’s to go bigger gears with the disk conversion. 31s might be the only way to go or 30. I don’t like how my truck looks rn

Yeah easiest is to slap a later model complete axle in. The OHV ones would likely be the least worn. You can find open 4.10s and then add a lunchbox locker fairly cheap.

Many years back, I wanted to go with 33s/4.10/3" lift.

Then hold it landscape. I'm not mobile.
I wasn’t talking to you. Which is exactly why you weren’t the person I quoted.

Get 3.73s at least. 4.10s would be much better though, as others have already mentioned. Buying 33s for looks on a 2wd isn't my cup of tea, but if that's what you are set on...gear it first. 31s on a 2-2.5" lift looks pretty sharp and is far less expensive investment both short term and long term. Unless it's an all out prerunner rig, I urge you to be honest with yourself about what you'll be using the vehicle for, and how much you're willing to spend, and put up with.

To hunt a 4.10:1 rear end with discs, find a late 2nd gen 4WD Explorer(98-01) with V6, those should all be 4.10's, and those might have the LS also. My 99 SOHC 4WD had the "4L10" rear.

To hunt a 4.10:1 rear end with discs, find a late 2nd gen 4WD Explorer(98-01) with V6, those should all be 4.10's, and those might have the LS also. My 99 SOHC 4WD had the "4L10" rear.
Did they come with the D4 3.73 with the towing package? I’ve been seeing 3-5 new 2nd gens in the pick and pull, lots of them SOHCs. For $300 I’d grab a lower mileage set to sit on.

I found a d2 4.10 limited slip for 200 out of a 4x4 2 door on Facebook market in my area. I been saying I wanted disc brakes & I been reading here it gives a awesome stopping power compared to the stock drums. I live in cali it’s not much mountains well there is. I been following Paul Gagnon instructions on here. Yes, mainly for looks rn, I just don’t like the way it looks at this moment with the stock slicks. In the future a prerunner

Upgrading the rear breaks won’t add any awesome stopping power. It might be slightly better, but your rear breaks handle little of the braking load. Upgrading the front to better/bigger rotors would be a much better help.

I keep reading here that the 302's all had 3.73 gears, and that the late 90's 4WD V6 trucks all have 4.10's. I doubt they all do, but the 4WD should be an option which would need the bigger 4.10 gears.

$300 I think is decent price for a good mileage rear, $200 should be a steal, these trucks are now fairly all high mileage.

The 1st gen Explorers have okay brakes, but with lots of miles those aren't as good as the 2nd gen's, the rear discs help in that. I had my 93 that I put hard miles on, constant stopping. Eventually the rear linings wore through the brake backing plate. I discovered it because the front brakes were needing work more often, pads were not lasting as long as they should have. When I discovered the slots worn onto the rear backing plates, welding those up and smoothing it out, that helped the brakes a lot. Both ends are needed, drum brakes just don't do quite as much as discs do.

Keep top brand pads or linings in it, that and fresh fuild will help a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I keep reading here that the 302's all had 3.73 gears, and that the late 90's 4WD V6 trucks all have 4.10's. I doubt they all do, but the 4WD should be an option which would need the bigger 4.10 gears.

$300 I think is decent price for a good mileage rear, $200 should be a steal, these trucks are now fairly all high mileage.

The 1st gen Explorers have okay brakes, but with lots of miles those aren't as good as the 2nd gen's, the rear discs help in that. I had my 93 that I put hard miles on, constant stopping. Eventually the rear linings wore through the brake backing plate. I discovered it because the front brakes were needing work more often, pads were not lasting as long as they should have. When I discovered the slots worn onto the rear backing plates, welding those up and smoothing it out, that helped the brakes a lot. Both ends are needed, drum brakes just don't do quite as much as discs do.

Keep top brand pads or linings in it, that and fresh fuild will help a lot.
I know tires have a impact as well. My truck only has 128,000 almost 129k I haven’t really drove it hard only the time I was being a little kid and tried to take it up a steep mountain & burn my clutch. I’m planing to keep this one for a while. You know if the 97 come with the axle over the springs? Mine is under the leaf springs. The ones I seen so far are on top of the springs

Back