• Register Today It's free!

What subs should I get?

snobrder9186

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 2Dr 4WD
I think I'm gonna get rid of my 1030w's and get some new subs but I dunno what to get.

I'm looking for 2 10" subs that can use approx. .8 ft3 space and that I could use w/ my amp that puts out 600w x 1 at 2 ohms, or 1200w x1 at 1 ohm.

I'm looking for a pair of subs that have LOTS of SPL and pretty good SQ (about as good as my current subs).

So far I'm looking at:

*Alpine SWR-1021d's
*Infinity Perfect 10.1's
*JL 10W3V2-D2's

Any oppinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Alot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, my personal choice would be to go with the JL's....Had a set of those.....course I had mine in a custom built 6ft^3 box.....that thing bumped....

I have since been ripped off and replaced it with a single 10W7 in a 1.5ft^3 box. Per JL specs.... It kicks the junk out of the 2 - 10W3's. I run it off a JL 500.1 amp so yours would power it fine.,......but I say go with the 10W3's

InkWax

I vote for JL. Heard nothing but good things about them.

ok so the JL so far... what do you guys think of the Rockford Fosgate HX2's, MTX 8000, and Eclipse Aluminum? Thanx

Originally posted by Xaggerate
Bah...get something nobody has heard of....EVERYONE has JL...my 75 yr old grandma has a JL sub....

check into:

www.adireaudio.com ---- Brahma 15"
www.stereointegrity.com ------ Magnum D2 12"
www.edesignaudio.com ------- e15a
www.respl.com ------- XXX15"

All of the above subs cost 400 or LESS...and the x.. will beat the w7 with recommended power.....

There's a reason for that. I would go with the JLs also. If you can afford it, one 10W7 would pound(as already stated). Two W3s will sound great too.

Originally posted by NaplesBill
There's a reason for that. I would go with the JLs also. If you can afford it, one 10W7 would pound(as already stated). Two W3s will sound great too.

Sure..but why not get something that is equal in performance, yet doesn't require you to bend over to the salesman??

those are great subs- but if you can get a good rate on something more expensive go for that. there is a reason they don't cost more

Originally posted by expo5.0
those are great subs- but if you can get a good rate on something more expensive go for that. there is a reason they don't cost more

The reason they don't cost more is because they are internet ONLY dealers...They don't have any ties to local authorized retails that jack up the prices....

Go listen to any of the subs I recommended and you'll be VERY hard pressed to justify spending more for a w7 that is equal in performance

If you are trying to tell me that the reason they don't cost more is because of quality standards...you are GROSSLY wrong....

DAMN! Those brahma's look sick! How much do those run and where can I pick um up?

Well the JL W7 is outta my price range so thats not really an option, but you guys are saying the JL 10W3V2's outta those 3 have the most SPL and best SQ?

Also what do you guys think of the Rockford Fosgate HX2's, and Eclipse Aluminum?

Thanks

The HX2s are good and the Eclipse are just as good. You can't really go wrong with any of those choices because they all have a good warranty.

Bah...get something nobody has heard of....EVERYONE has JL...my 75 yr old grandma has a JL sub....

check into:

www.adireaudio.com ---- Brahma 15"
www.stereointegrity.com ------ Magnum D2 12"
www.edesignaudio.com ------- e15a
www.respl.com ------- XXX15"

All of the above subs cost 400 or LESS...and the x.. will beat the w7 with recommended power.....

Saying a 15" sub will beat a 12" sub is comparing apples to oranges. The thing about the W7 is that it's not only capable of very high SPL numbers but it does so while maintaining sound quality. I have not personally heard any of the speakers you listed but I haven't heard anything that compares to my single 12W7 either.

Last years Brahma 15" can be bought for $310

The new Brahma 15" is $429...

3.5 cubes tuned to 27-30hz and 1500w and you'll LOVE IT...

I wasn't comparing subs either....just giving other ideas about great companies...12" or 15"....either way...

NaplesBill- You need to hear an XXX15....

didn't say they were lower quality and i'm sure not a fan of paying jl's or eclipses prices and think they are absolutely ludicrous. I just think that there are a ton of great subs out there, and that the RE stuff isn't quite as amazing as what some people on the net seem to think. I did consider running x.. re's in my own truck and i have heard them. if yoiu want to buy one of those though i'd get the brahma in a heart beat over the others.

where's the love for mtx? (watch the slandering i'm gonna take for that one)

Originally posted by snobrder9186
What subs should I get?

The italian is really good, but I prefer the tuna on rye. They also make an awesome cheeseburger sub if you are into that stuff.

Peace!

Last years Brahma 15" can be bought for $310

The new Brahma 15" is $429...

3.5 cubes tuned to 27-30hz and 1500w and you'll LOVE IT...

I wasn't comparing subs either....just giving other ideas about great companies...12" or 15"....either way...

NaplesBill- You need to hear an XXX15....

To be honest with you, I've never heard of the XXX15. I have competed in several events with both my previous Explorer and the Focus I just got rid of. Stock 1 is either 3 (8s), 2 (10s), or 1 (12). I hit a 144 in my 01 Sport and 500 watts. I hit a 146 in my Focus with a BD1500(borrowed for competition). I didn't get a chance to meter the Focus after I replaced the JL 500/1 with a JL 1000/1.

I personally like 12" subs because they provide the best all around range. I listen to a lot of different types of music(mostly RAP though). The new DMX slams in my truck. Here is what I currently have in my '03 Explorer:

Pioneer MP8500 head unit
MB Quart PSD216 6.5" components in front doors
JL XR650CXi 6.5" coaxials in back doors
JL 300/4 4-channel
JL 12W7 in a JL spec custom built ported box
JL 1000/1 mono amp for sub

I had an Eclipse AV5101 and I sold it and put in an Eclipse av8012. I also have an Eclipser Commander w/GPS and an 39011 Digital processor. The AV8012 is advertised to work with the ECOM and the processor. After I bought it and discovered that it didn't work I took it back. The shop where I bought sent email to the president of Fujitsu Ten's Eclipse division. They basically said too bad. I was so pissed I refuse to have Eclipse equipment any more. I have other plans for my video system and I don't really care for the in dash screens too much. They are getting better though, so I may end up getting another in-dash. I really like the Pioneer head unit. It's the one where there are two faces that open up to make one large face. It also allows me to connect my XM without having to use the wired control module.

I will get some pics as soon as I finish the sub and amp mounting. I currently have the amps mounted to a carpeted piece of 3/4 MDF and the sub sitting behind them. I am going to mount the amps in the storage area that is in the 02-up 4-doors without the 3rd seat. Then I'll build a solid panel floor(from 3/4 mdf) and cut out a section for each amp and use plexi over them.

yeah, when these arguments get going i always like to point out which brands are used at the highest levels of competition- you just dont' see the small internet brands used in sq or spl competition.

Originally posted by expo5.0
yeah, when these arguments get going i always like to point out which brands are used at the highest levels of competition- you just dont' see the small internet brands used in sq or spl competition.

Because most of the big brands do ALOT of sponsoring.

My friend owns a stereo shop and I think I heard one of the best sounding subs.......the Alumapro Alchemey BandPass. They come in 8", 10" and 12". This thing SLAMS. I had a pair of old school Soundstream SPL's, and this is just as loud and requires soooo little space. Check it out at epionions and stuff like that. I couldn't believe how much bass came out of that thing! They cost about $250-$325, depends where you go. I currently am running a JL in a stealth box.....not to bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might be a little different- but i'm a sponsored athlete and quite a few of my friends are as well. There is no way any of us would use equipment from a manufacturer we thought was inferior just because you got a deal the competition is just more important than that.

Back