What the heck happened??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What the heck happened???

Ford Explorer9

Reaction score
I took a turn hard this morning and gassed it during the turn just like I used to do with my ranger and all the truck did was rev. It's a 2006 Ford Explorer xlt V8. Is that a safety feature or something? It's interrupting my fun :burnout:

Maybe one-wheel was slipping and the traction control kicked in with braking?

On a 2007 Explorer with all wheel drive there are a number of electronic nanny safety features: ABS, Traction control, Interactive vehicle dynamics, Roll stability control. The description for these features includes engine torque control that reduces acceleration and brake manipulation that may cause ABS type noises and pedal vibration and slowing of the truck. Ther only transmission control would likely be disengaging the torque converter lockup solenoid that would likely increase engine revs a bit, but engine timing and reduced fuel injector operation to reduce torque would give a very limp engine feel.

It sounds like the IVD and RSC systems for dynamic stability and rollover protection were activated and your truck was not allowed to slide or tip further. In your Ranger, without these systems, you would likely have lost traction on the rear wheels and the truck would have slid the tail dramatically.

It appears that these systems, apart from ABS, can be switched off by the driver which may allow a little more fun for you. There is an RSC on/off switch in the dash that may accomplish this, but I don't know.

Good luck having more fun.

Back