• Register Today It's free!

What to do with a bad body?

kewpie79

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I let someone borrow the ex, got t-boned. Body is shot, frame fine. What would be easier, finding an explorer and doing a body swap? Getting an explorer with bad engine and tranny and swap my engine and tranny into it or finding a 53-56 f100 and swapping that body onto my explorer? Also can you put a 4.0 engine and tranny into an explorer that had a 5.0? Thanks (btw, one of my sons is a mechanic, he will be doing the majority of the work)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easiest would be to find one to put your drive train into, followed by the body swap, and lastly, the f-100 swap. Good luck with whatever route you take!

Not for anything but Explorers are a dime a dozen. Seems like a lot of work when a pretty nice V8 truck can be had for 2500 bucks.

Looks like we will take our drive line and put it into another. Can you put a gen II into a gen I or would it be best to wait for a 2000 xlt

I also think that a dime a dozen fits the explorers.
A nice looking econd gen that runs great and has a bad rear end is for sale for $600 and been for sale for awhile.
I am on my first explorer and bought it because I needed something cheap.
I have done some research on them, with care and maintenance they seem like a awesome suv.
Like a hidden secret and why they do not have a high resale value. I dont want it to change myself.

I would consider using the one you have as a parts rig, and just buy another.

Back