What to do... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do...

Rocky Mountain

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
Well, I am in a quandary. I took my explorer up a trail last year and it didn't perform well. Some loose rock (fist size) on an incline defeated it's attempt to go up to the top. I realize this was probably due to a combination of tires, and my unwillingness to push it too hard with my 1 year old & 6 year old with me. However, I had been up this same path in a 4wd Chevrolet Colorado without a problem (yes, it was a z71 with the auto-locking differential). So... until recently I had given up the desire to have my Ex be capable off pavement. Now however, I have a neighbor with a beastly 4x4 which has resparked my interest in making the Ex venture into the wilderness as it was originally intended to (Ok, moreso back in the days of the Bronco, but there is no reason why the Ex can't again as I have seen a few photos on here of people doing just that).

So I have a few questions. What is a good route to take to improve off road prowess besides larger/more aggressive tires?

Speaking of tires what is the largest size tire without lift or mod that will be capable off road? I am not opposed to noisy tires, though I don't want to sacrifice too much ride quality as this is my daily driver. I had some BFG AT/KO's on a Chevy Trailblazer and those got a bit bouncy at highway speeds because the truck was so light. Also, with the RSC/Traction Control, how do I go about changing the tire size to match if I do increase in size, so the computer doesn't freak out? Last time I looked at this I kept reading about how the RSC was finicky and you had to be really careful with it.

The reason I am not looking at lifting it (though it could be a consideration in the future) is the Ex is currently my daily driver as I mentioned above. I am currently running about 15k-20k miles per year, and I don't want to add additional wear & tear as well as lose more mpg due to more height beyond tire size and weight.

I do have the 4.6L, which also leads me to ask, with a tire size increase, is there is a nice size that changes the final drive that complements the rpms decently? Or will it be a normal increase in size, decrease in mpg due to potential rolling resistance/weight/tread/etc... issues?

I know I'm probably asking questions that could be answered with some research, but remember I now have a 2 year old and 6 year old...time is hard to come by and maybe there are some new experiences I can gain from =D.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rig is lifted and I got MT tires and it performs awesome doesn't ride to rough rides pretty smooth but I do have the humming of the tires which I love the other thing is dd you try and put it on Low 4wd that could make a big difference why you didn't make it up try that!! And even though my mpg varies from 13-14 mpg I don't mind it I love my rig and I believe without lifting you can get a 265/70/16 tire size for AT but for MT you'll deff have to trim fenders unless you lift

You should read the sticky entitled "Maximum Traction Solution - 4th Gen" at the top of this forum.

Member The Electrician here wrote that article, and I belive that it will help you immensely.

So I can only increase .6 inches from stock without modding. Not spectacular but better than nothing as that is just pure increase in ground clearance.

So how did you adjust the computer? That will be the real kicker to this whole adventure.

How much lift do you have? 13-14mpg isn't bad if that is city driving. I generally get 16-18 but that is city and highway.

My tires already hum going down the road for some reason. A few sets seem to do it. I don't mind some noise(just turn up the radio), but I don't care for howling tires at 30mph.

And last year I am pretty sure I did have it in 4lo, but that was a year ago.

I have 3" lift

I actually started reading that to begin with but I haven't made it far enough in yet for my answers, and my curiosity got to me so I posted these questions. Guess I will have to go back and be a bit more patient on my reading.

These trucks are fairly good in light off road conditions with the traction control etc etc. If it was not a ground clearance issue it was a traction issue. Get some new tires and go at it again. If it gets traction you will make it. You will be surprised at the capabilities.

Back