• Register Today It's free!

what to do what to do?

burke753

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
Ok so ive got my 91 Ex its an XL 4x4 5 speed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285096

Looks nice on the outside, but needs steering help, as in everything in the power steering needs to be replaced, now I found this 92 Eddie Bauer. 4x4 Automatic. Im thinking about picking it up on Sunday. I just dont want a car payment but I can get the loan. need to build credit anyway. and since Im in college right now and working full time its tough to give my black truck the love it needs, plus if the A4ld goes in the red one I have a 5 speed thatll be sitting I guess. But price wise what do you think about this red truck?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/2136302876.html

or should I just put the money into my black one and not worry about the tranny in the red one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow what a ripoff for 3,500$. I don't think I've ever seen a first gen go for that.

My eddie bauer cost 800$ and only had 10k more miles then that one , plus it was 2 years newer. You could buy 3 explorers for 3k. But for that money just get a honda.

The last 4 explorers I have bought were as follows

91 xlt 4wd auto $725 - gave to my ex wife.... perfect since the day I bought it aside from some rust 160k miles
92 xlt 4wd auto $400 - my current DD - needed exhaust, some wiring fixed, and one rear axle shaft has one rusted rocker 120k miles
91 EB 4wd auto $700 - needed a tie rod and steering box 200k miles
92 EB 4wd auto $300 - blown engine :D 230k miles

I could probably buy a couple more good running explorers yet and still not have paid that much....

Even in that great looking condition, assuming it ran real well, I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for any first gen.... they are just too damn old

Even the KBB value for it in excellent condition is 3335.... and no vehicles are ever in excellent condition.... excellent condition means the condition it was in when it rolled out of the showroom.

kbb said:
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

Seriously though, where do you guys even find 5 speed explorers.... I never see them in this part of the country

Yeah that is listed for too much man....I paid 1300 for my 92 xl 5 speed 2wd. Technically I didn't pay anything I traded my 94 single cab ranger straight up for it.

But even as nice as the EB on CL you found I wouldn't pay more than 2k-2500 for it. However I would fix as you were able to with what's broken on yours. Is there a buddy from school that may have a shop you can work on yours? I mean for less than 500 bucks you could fix yours.

Seriously though, where do you guys even find 5 speed explorers.... I never see them in this part of the country

I had only ever seen 5 speeds with the 2 door sport models. I love mine and the 4 door is awesome for room.

yeah thats what I thought, Im gonna see if I can get it for closer to 2000 or not at all. I figured 500 and mine would run and drive just as good and keep the 5 speed. and as far as finding the 5 speeds, I had it easy just look they're out there, I picked mine out of 5 I looked at in one week. They were everywhere. Im fixing mine though, dont want it sitting and just as I thought wanted to make sure though because its in good condition, It is a 92 thought 3500 was steep

Holy crap don't buy it unless you want to get hosed big time !

I paid $3200 for my 94 3 years ago BUT....I bought it from a friend who runs a small used car lot,it was mint with 120,000 on it,I had a pile of inherited cash and was doing him a favor,he's a nice older gent and he has been real good to me in the past.

$2500 max and even that is too high.And you don't need to build credit,you need to stay out of debt and save money,take that car payment and put it in a mutual fund every month for 25 years and you will retire at 45 a millionaire.:D

Attachments

• deal.PNG
    deal.PNG
    139.1 KB · Views: 298

yeah, Ive been thinking about a second gen, but needs to be a 5.0 I wont settle for anything else there. as far as my first gen goes, Im keeping it. I pulled the driveshaft and am replacing the u joints right now, then next weekend, Its getting a brand new steering gearbox, power steering pump, pressure and return hoses and Im adding a trans cooler for the power steering. Thatll make my truck drive as good as the red one. Then the only other thing making my truck not 100% is that the front main seal leaks, but thats just started since I switched to synthetic oil, Im going back to conventional and replacing the front seal anyway. so then for a grand total of 1800 Ill have a good solid truck, thats including what I bought it for

^thanks, I just replaced my u joints today in the autozone parking lot and Im gonna order my power steering stuff next week. then it should be smooth sailing, after I get my tires rotated and balanced at school sometime next week and get rid of the vibrations I couldnt feel over my bad U joints

Is there a picture of the caved in passenger side door(s)?;)

Caved in, or typical door latch mechanism issue? Call and find out...

I called him, he said there are no dents. Drivers side wont open from the inside, passenger side wont open. Hatch doesn't close, but not dented. I didn't get a good vibe... $800 over the phone, probably $500 cash...

if it was missing the roof I'd buy it for 500 , it's a second gen with 98k nuff said.

I had only ever seen 5 speeds with the 2 door sport models. I love mine and the 4 door is awesome for room.

They are out there. The manual was optional on all varients of the explorer except for the limited and the V8 engine. I have seen two 1st gen Eddie Bauer 4-door, 5 speeds around here. They even built a very small number of third gens with a manual trans. These are very rare as they dropped the option in 03 in the 4 door Explorers.

I came very close to buying a '94 2-door Eddie Bauer, 5 speed back in 2001. I kick myself for not doing it, but it was alot of money and about 600 miles from me. This has to be the rarest 1st gen configuration ever built as I have only seen two other E.B. 2-doors since and they were autos. I bought the last one I found. The other one is on this forum somewhere. I have never seen another one since.

p.s. My 94 E.B. is being converted, its not originally a 5 speed, I wanted one so I am building it.

Back