What to put where the center dash speaker would go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to put where the center dash speaker would go?

blob19

Reaction score
City, State
Midwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
Has anyone put anything clever in the blank plate where the center dash speaker normally is? Phone holder / GPS are the only things I've thought of.

ovPro3S.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a used center speaker and use it for my Ham radio speaker, no ugly appendage hanging off or pointed in a weird direction, bounces off the windshield and you can hear it. Decent fidelity since its a 2ohm speaker with tweeter in it too. yes you do have to modify the opening in the dash and remove the cross brace that attaches to the center of the stock panel, but its really easy to do all of that.

+1 on the speaker for my Ham set.

I am more than a little annoyed that no one has done a little locking box to put up there like they have for the PI Sedan.:mad:

The picture for this link looks like it is for the "PI Sedan" but the listing is for a "PI Ulility". Anyone know if this Works/Fits ok or how it is attached?
jotto-desk-police-interceptor-425-3831-lock-box-s.jpg

http://www.publicsafetysource.com/r...dio-consoles/pi-utility-lock-box-425-3831.htm

Im sure you will have to take your radio completely out to access the reinforcement bar that acts as a support for that area under the dashboard. It probably has screws welded to the under side of that box that will allow it to bolt in place like the old tray does. Not big enough area for me to spend $200 bucks on and in direct Nevada sunlight it may melt the rest of the dash board!

Im sure you will have to take your radio completely out to access the reinforcement bar that acts as a support for that area under the dashboard. It probably has screws welded to the under side of that box that will allow it to bolt in place like the old tray does. Not big enough area for me to spend $200 bucks on and in direct Nevada sunlight it may melt the rest of the dash board!
Double sided tape?

The picture for this link looks like it is for the "PI Sedan" but the listing is for a "PI Ulility". Anyone know if this Works/Fits ok or how it is attached?
jotto-desk-police-interceptor-425-3831-lock-box-s.jpg

http://www.publicsafetysource.com/r...dio-consoles/pi-utility-lock-box-425-3831.htm
NO, it absolutely does NOT work in the PIU. It's almost twice the size of the space it should go. It's Sedan-only. (i know this because I bought it and it doesn't even come close to fitting.)

The boys at ProClip do make a neat little equipment mounting plate that fits like a dream and takes <5 minutes to install.
http://www.proclipusa.com/product/proclip-police-equipment-mounting-plate

Has anyone put anything clever in the blank plate where the center dash speaker normally is? Phone holder / GPS are the only things I've thought of.

ovPro3S.png
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m looking for that very piece!!! If anyone has one, shoot me a price!!!

I was planned to get the center speaker in (yea for HAM) but gave up as soon as I found out I have to trim something down to have it fit in.

For now I'm hunting for a good looking compass/inclinometer to put in that spot, but no luck so far. Anyone tried this way?

Back