• Register Today It's free!

whats is the best box?

Mcane6

Reaction score
City, State
Carrollton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 sport 4x4
i have 2 12" right now but im going to be changing at least my door speakers and i might just go ahead and redo my whole system.

The box i have now i built. I like the way it came out for a first so i think i will build my next box as well but my ???? is what type of box is the best for SPL?
The box i have now is very large, it takes up most of the cargo area and it is ported. Should i just go with another box like the one i have?? Suggestions/input pics of custom boxs if yall have them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search around the site. There's a massive thread somewhere where a LOT of people show photos of their sub boxes.

I've seen and used two different designs for spl sub boxes in ex's...
1st is not a super-huge box, ported, with ports and subs facing back, possibly 6ft3 total between the subs, shared chamber or not, its up to you....
2nd is the "crx" box, which is well known in the dbdrag circles, which is essentially a ported enclosure, subs facing up, utilizing 4- 4" aeroports, I use about 7.5" of length on them, putting me around 45hz tuning... some go with around 12" of length to preserve daily listening... each sub gets its own enclosure, which is about 2.66 cu ft each...

My next box is going to be a variant of the crx though, it'll be with 4 12" subs, subs facing up, port back... it'll be a shared chamber, several internal "tricks", and lots o port... see if I cant get to the mid fifties on the termlab....

There are plenty of good SPL resources around... www.termpro.com, www.caraudio.com and others....

I had a virtual technologies box w/2 audiobahn 12s with 1000 watts RMS to each and hit 152 even on the dash.

I'll have to agree with dave. However if you're not an experienced box builder and still want to receive decent numbers, I'd go with a standard slot port box. What kind of 12s with what power are you running?

audiobahn the 1251 series with 600 watts to each sub
im thinkin about adding two more 12s so ill have 4 then

ported will definitely make the most of your 600 watts.... Sealed simply needs more power to reach x-max...

Back