What's up with Explorer dirty oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's up with Explorer dirty oil?

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Have owned 3 X's, a Gen II, III, and IV. All 4.0L SOHC V-6s. I've always done the oil changes myself, using synthetic oil or not (it doesn't matter), and the common theme is very dirty oil. We also have a Colorado, and when I change it's oil, it looks great compared to the X's oil....much lighter brown, practically still clear. So what's up with that? I've asked this question on a general oil forum, and found out that I'm not alone, and that others have experienced the same thing. What causes dirty oil as opposed to cleaner? Not that I lose sleep over it, but I am considering extending my oil change interval to 7500 miles like many are doing these days with synthetic oil, but seeing that black dirty oil is holding be back. Does dirty oil affect performance if the oil is in good shape otherwise? Thanks. Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Until you send a sample of the oil off for analysis it is hard to say what condition the oil is really in; you cannot rely on the color of it on the dip stick as an indicator of the life left in it. You can read up on all oil related things at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ .

I've had several Used Oil Analysis' done in the past, and they all came back with a very good analysis. I've talked about this on the BITOG forum, but didn't get much of a response about the 'dirty vs performance' part. Maybe I'll repost it. One Explorer owner responded and said that he had the same experience with the dirty oil on the 4L SHOCs as compared to his other vehicle. He said the Explorer oil was dirtier after 1000 miles than his other car was after 5000. That's been about my experience too.

So I posted this on the Explorer forum because I figured that there were lots of guys that have changed their own own Explorer oil, and other vehicles too, and would easily notice what I am talking about, and be able to comment. Well, maybe not so much. It must be common because I have owned 3 X's and they were all that way. Oil gets dirty quick!!

The air filter is the barrier to most oil contaminants.

Use a better air filter.

I had synthetic oil in my 99 SOHC at 9k miles, still transparent, with an Amsoil air filter. That "cone" filter inside the Volant air cleaner fell off during the next two months, and the oil was fully black. I was watching the oil, checking it every month or so, planning to got to 12.5k recommended by Amsoil. It looked transparent from the start, until the day I found it black, at near 11k miles.

Use a far better air filter, the oil will stay cleaner.

Hummm.....Well, I'll have to try that. I use basic Fram or Purolator air filters, and replace them regularly. Where do you get your Amsoil filter?

Although to throw a bit of a stick in the spokes, our Colorado uses the same air filters and oil, it's oil comes out MUCH better looking at 5000 miles. That's how I knew the Explorer oil was so much worse by comparison.

There are tons of choices for sure, and lots of opinions. I liked the Amsoil for it's high quality and dry "fiber" material. They will last at least four years, and need to be vacuumed at least once per year.

Amsoil does direct marketing, but gladly take any new person as a member/dealer for $15 I think per year. I generally by something every year, so I usually resubscribe. There member prices are near what other high end brands would be, my air filter was near $35-$40. A stock replacement size will be different I'm sure. I have one in my Mark VII also, stock size, and it was around $35 also.

Their final costs end up being at least 15% over the prices, as they charge both sales tax and a shipping fee.

Back