Wheel and tire fitment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel and tire fitment

ncyrider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
About to order new wheels for my 01 ST 4x4, the wheels I plan on getting are Pro Comp 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing. So does that mean they will stick out 0.75" (-19mm offset) compared to stock?

For the tires I might get the same kind/size I have now, BF Goodrich 30 x 9.5 R15. Will I need wider tires for the 8" wide rims, or are these ok?

I know this setup should work fine, and my ST has a torsion bar turn...no lift. With the wider stance, the front tires won't rub, correct?
I saw some sport tracs with much wider wheels/tires, so I know I'll be good.. but just wanna make sure before I buy everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheels "should" fit and tires will be fine but I might would get a little wider tire for that wheel. I say should because I know the Cragar with those specs work since others have used them but I can't say that I remember for sure if anyone has used the Pro Comp in that size. Some steel 15" wheels won't clear the calipers.

My '02 ST has 16x8" wheels with the stock size 235/70 tires. They were on it when I got it. I've not had any problems, but I would have been leery putting 235s on an 8" rim if I had done the buying myself. The combo is within recommended specs, though.

Cool...for the 8" wheels how wide should the tires be?

Goodrich should have a something showing recommended rim widths for their tires.

Looked at BF Goodrich website, looks like it's saying 30 x 9.5 / 15 (All-terrain KO, what I have now on stock wheels) will work with the 8" wide wheels. And they also have 31 x 10.5 / 15. Which size would be best for the 15x8 wheels?
Because I'm not really sure if the 31's would rub at all, and the 30's might look a bit too narrow...

I have 31 x 10.5 on my 15x8 wheels and they fit and look great.

Back