• Register Today It's free!

wheel backspacing?

mbautodesign

Reaction score
ok to start i have a 2002 4x4 sport trac
i have a 3" body lift
i am looking at a 15x8 wheel with 3.75" backspacing
also a 33x12.5 tire
anyone running this size wheel or tire or the combo?
would like to know if the wheel sticking out is going to hit the fender when the truck squats in the front
and if there are any rubbing issues
and also if even a 15x8 wheel will fit seeing it has stock 16's...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That backspace and tire is perfect. With the bodylift it won't rub. Most 15" wheels will clear the brakes but if possible I'd mount one (just the wheel) just to make sure before you take them home. Some Tracs came with 15" factory wheels in the early years.

well one more question
would a 15 x 10 wheel work?
with a 3.625 backspacing?
or would that stick out to far?
i can get a good deal on those.

well one more question
would a 15 x 10 wheel work?
with a 3.625 backspacing?
or would that stick out to far?
i can get a good deal on those.

15x10 will work.
3.625" backspace, I dunno....
I don't think they'll stick out too far (I could be wrong, you'll have to measure) but be ready to replace the front wheel bearings annually. Also it will be more sensitive to front end alignment. If you remember your high school geometry, that is why.
With a 10" rim I think 4" to 4.5" backspace is best.

I'd agree with JohnnyO on his suggestion of 15x10 backspacing, only because I am currently running 15x8's (3.75 backspaced) and 32x11.50 tires. 15x10 is a very wide wheel for a 33x12.50 combo - depending on if you are eventually planning on running the same width with a taller tire.... the 15x8's will clear the 12.50's with less weight. Are you planning on wheeling with this combination? If so I can't vouch for either the 15x8 or 15x10's and the 12.50 tires not rubbing on your outer fender wells at full stuff. ;)

FYI I don't have a BL at all, and my 11.50's (at the widest spot just below the tread) stick out about 1.25" from the fender - if you drew a straight line down from the fender.

Back