• Register Today It's free!

wheel bearings

Jtorsey91

Reaction score
City, State
Campton, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
on a 98 explorer xlt do you really need to get a new front hub assembly if you need new wheel bearings? or can you just find get bearings to replace the old ones?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have 2wd, I believe you can just replace the bearing. AWD and Auto-4wd, yes you have to replace the whole hub assembly, which also includes a new ABS sensor.

This question has been covered a thousand times before. Please do a little digging before posting a new thread. This board is getting cluttered with tons of duplicate/redundant posts that cover the same thing over and over.
...and before you ask how to do the job, look in the stock and modified 1995-2001 sections. You will find the info there, if you look.

Yes, as stated you need to replace the whole assembly. The tapered bearing in it is integrated into the mounting plate, so you can't replace the bearings. I've pressed the assembly apart before to check.

that sucks that you can't just replace the bearing. thanks for the quick responses!

Sealed units. As a result you do need to get a complete hub assembly. Contact 1ATony, one of our vendors. I'm sure he can offer you a better price than autozone, advance, etc..

I love my 2WD

Until 2012.... When the end of the world comes, and when FL. gets 2ft of snow (or volcanic ash...) in an hour. Then how will you escape the hell hounds and hordes of ravenous zombies? Huh, Mr. 2wd smarty pants? What then?:rolleyes::D

someone besides me has been watching Armageddon week on the history channel

and once that volcano hits, I will STILL have a squeaky truck with poor gas milage...

Back