wheel bearings front 2wd

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all~
Ok it's not QUITE and explorer but it's close enough. I'm going to be doing a ton of work on my buddy's 1987 ford F 150 two wheel drive 4 speed.
Main question is how do I get the front wheel bearing RACES out of the rotor hub? while on the note what is a good way to put them in as well? I was thinking maybe a tap and a hammer to lightly tap them out from behind. Any ideas let me know thanks a lot! :)

George

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

I am not sure, but I'm pretty positive that you are correct. I use a tap/punch to drive them out. There should be two notch on each side for you to wedge the punch into to knock it out. It might be snug. Be sure to get the new races in evenly!

-Drew

ok great thanks. Just thought I'd ask around to be sure.

He is having me put front wheel bearings in, and a new parking brake cable, and new rear leaf springs and mid to rear brake lines (wheel cylinders too) and I'm getting paid for it all. Cool thing is he's taking the bed off first so it it will be easy to get at.

Anyhoo have a great one

George

I usually use the old race to seat the new one in then turn it over and chizel tap the old one off. Easly seats the new one in and this method has worked ok for me for years.
BTW: Like said use the two notches to get it off but I like to use something duller and rounder so I don't scratch where the race seats.

Back