• Register Today It's free!

wheel bearings

2002 XLS X

Reaction score
City, State
Newport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
just had my rear left wheel bearings replaced with new hub, total charge 285 but only paid 192 due to the salesman quoting me around 190, i think i just got lucky and a great deal.....but while he inspected the truck i had a broken spring didnt have the money to fix it just yet but he also stated i needed to replace both at the same time due to there will be a different height if i just changed one, is this true ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is an amazing deal, and yes you should do both springs at once. I cant believe you got that bearing done that cheap, they must have gotten parts for dirt cheap or not charged you for labor. Or both. Either way that's a win. Look into after market springs, you should be able to purchase them yourself and pay the shop labor charge to install them, and it will be similar or cheaper cost than the oem springs, which are garbage imo.

i had same issue with 1 spring in the rear on my 02 xlt. I was at 100k and decide time to change struts as well. I changed both springs.

Usually when 1 fails (by the way the Taurus line has same problem with springs, stupid engineers at FORD), the other will fail. Replace both. At same time you might consider to replace the struts since they are part of that assembly. My 2 cents worth.

I replaced both when mine went. Good deal on the bearings. My ford dealer wanted $250 and my mechanic said he should be able to do it under $200, so I will find out next week when I bring it in.

the mechanic said that he can put the new monroe quick struts with the spring attached for around 600 is that a good deal or not, that would be for both rears

they are about 193 each, seems close to fair.

Back