• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearings.

J08j06

Reaction score
City, State
Niles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
I changed both the driver and passenger side wheel bearings and races on my 91 explorer, 4x4. The passenger side, after driving has zero play. The driver side even after torquing has some slight play after putting the wheel on. I can see no play with the wheel off and i grab the rotor. But there is some when the tire is installed. I am confused to why the bearings on the driver side won't torque down. Too much grease? Bad axle nut? Bad spindle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the auto locking hubs?

Ok, so the problem I had (when I had auto hubs) was the same -- I never could torque the bearings down properly. If I went to the next keyway, they were too tight. If I went to the previous keyway, they were too loose.

The problem in my case was that the hubs were going bad. They did not allow proper torquing. My hubs would still lock and unlock, but gradually, over time, they became less and less reliable. And I had tire wear issues from the bearing slop.

I switched to manual locking hubs, and all has been fine.

Not sure if that's your issue, but it might be from the sound of it.

Maybe you're mistaking ball joint play for bearing play?

Maybe you're mistaking ball joint play for bearing play?
I thought it was that, but I had my cousin wiggle the tire and the ball joints do not move, they are still good. The rotor and tire move together and everything else stays put. But if I take the tire off I can not get the rotor to wiggle with my hands.

Back