Wheel hub on a 1994 Aerostar with E-4WD. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel hub on a 1994 Aerostar with E-4WD.

mdave1956

Reaction score
City, State
knoxville tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
Hi I really hope i'm doing this right. Thanks for the help in the past. I have a 1994 Aerostar new rebuilt motor and transmission. Now I'm having a winning sound. I took it to have the fluids checked and there was no fluid in transfer case was told that was where the sound came from. So I took it out had it worked on put it back in. Today I was driving it and when I turn to the right like in a curve the sound stops any thoughts on what it could be.and thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front was full of atf I read so much was hopping it might be the right hub?

dont really know how some of the post said there's noway of checking right by tugging on them please tell me and ill do it seems the cost to see if it's the hubs is high if it's not them

I believe I'm going to take off the right one it seams becausr the sound stops when I turn right that it might be it the parts house wants 69.99 for a NTP and 129.99 for a national any thoughts would help thanx

yes your right I wish I knew for suer this was where the sound is comming from I don't have the money on a wish lol

Front Wheel Drive Is A System

MDave56,
I agree with Brooklyn Bay 100%, change both if one is bad. Same applies to front drive axles (short shafts).

But the logic of pulling the right side one to find the problem since right turns make the sound go away may be flawed.

When turning right, left wheel gets more load & when turning left right wheel gets more load. That's due to forces of the ackerman principle & geometry of the steering function itself. So if the whine is the result of wear, loading may well "mask" the whine when the loading is increased.

Short of pulling both hubs & inspecting them individually, I'd look at overall mileage 1st. If it's over 150/175,000 miles, I'd do a thorough, comprehensive inspection of complete front drive & steering assembly. check for play in the cardin joints, play in the hubs, torn axle boots, worn bushings and so forth.

But either way, like BB said I'd change both hubs if one is bad, & both axles if one is bad. I'll add, when changing hubs it might be a good time to R&R old outer Boots on axles, BUT if boots are or have been open to the elements, I'd change axles which come with new boots etc. etc.
"Always Think System"

CIAO
FBP:thumbsup:

Changed the hubs sounds so quite but now I can hear others sounds lol Oh well the hubs are fixed now

Back