Wheel shake while turning. Already replaced power steering pump. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel shake while turning. Already replaced power steering pump.

aberrant

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer EB
I had quite a bit of wheel vibration/shake when turning, so I replaced the power steering pump on the advice of a local shop. Well, that hasn't really fixed the problem, so what should I look at now? I know there might be air in the system, so I'll try removing the cap to the reservoir and doing a few lock to lock turns, but I don't think that will help. Could it be bad wheel bearings or CV's? It shutters no matter which side you turn towards.

Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before this problem started did you (or someone else) turn the wheels with the engine not running?

If so, doing that will suck air into the system and it can be difficult work that air out. Basically you need to find an empty parking lot and while driving slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock repeatedly until the air works itself out. The shaking should lessen fairly quickly, but it may take a while to get it all back to normal, requiring you to repeat this procedure over multiple days.

This is a common problem. My theory is that air is sucked in through the rack seals when the wheels are turned w/out the engine running. One member had this problem after changing his P/S fluid and not using the recommended Mercon V ATF fluid to replace it.

When the front end was worked on, they were probably moved. I'll try what you are suggesting and report back. Thanks.

I had the same problem with my 96. Scared the hell out of me the first time it happened. I thought I totally screwed the truck up. But it's most likely just air in the system as stated.

Before this problem started did you (or someone else) turn the wheels with the engine not running?

If so, doing that will suck air into the system and it can be difficult work that air out. Basically you need to find an empty parking lot and while driving slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock repeatedly until the air works itself out. The shaking should lessen fairly quickly, but it may take a while to get it all back to normal, requiring you to repeat this procedure over multiple days.

This is a common problem. My theory is that air is sucked in through the rack seals when the wheels are turned w/out the engine running. One member had this problem after changing his P/S fluid and not using the recommended Mercon V ATF fluid to replace it.

Still need to get around to doing this as I still have the shakes. By the way, does this need to be done with the Power Steering reservoir cap off? Thanks.

I left my cap on. Did a whole ton of lock to lock turns while moving very slow in gravel as to not rip my tires up on pavement. But this fixed it and I had exactly what you do, shaking no matter where I turned the wheel.

Cap on is fine - Dude, it's been 2 months since you reported this problem and you still haven't tried the suggested 2 minute fix? I guess you don't drive your truck much.

Yea, truck doesn't get driven much. But starting to take her out more, so I will try this fix asap. Thanks guys.

I did the suggested lock to lock turns in a parking lot moving very slowly. Seems to have resolved most the shaking. I still get a bit, so maybe a few more lock to lock turns are in order. But for the most part, it is greatly improved. :thumbsup:

I did the suggested lock to lock turns in a parking lot moving very slowly. Seems to have resolved most the shaking. I still get a bit, so maybe a few more lock to lock turns are in order. But for the most part, it is greatly improved. :thumbsup:

It can take a while to work all the air out of the system. Also, not using the recommended p/s fluid (Mercon V) has been reported to cause shaking issues. Keep trying the slow moving lock/lock turns over a few day period.

I drove about a 1/4 mile turning lock to lock to clear mine no kidding. I've never had a vehicle so sensitive to air in the power steering system.

Back