97 Moutaineer AWD. The steering shakes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Moutaineer AWD. The steering shakes.

mycfx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mercury Mountaineer
The truck shaked the steering wheel like a bad wheel bearing in a turn at 40-35 mph.
Just had it up on the rack no visable damage or worn parts.
But, whe we took it down and started a slow roll and turned the steering wheel both front tires shook and the steering wheel did the same. Then just slowly rotated the wheel and it did it again. problem is much worse when in drive or slow roll. tires shaking like leaf in the wind.
Could it be the rack or pump?
Any, all Ideas welcome.

i think it might be time for an alignment but i am not 100% sure but also welcome aboard or maybe u need new ball joints

Thoughts and ideas

I had it up on the lift and all the front end running gear was in good shape. Right front lower ball joint had a little movement with alot of effort and a long bar. As the front end has been straight and true, the normal (abnormal) inside front tire rib wear, will shim out at the next tire replacement 1 to 3k away.
As always, I got frustrated and swapped cars at home for the rest of the day. Now I went to figure it out and it stopped happening. I went and beat it like a monkey in a mango tree, and all is well? I do think a motor mount is dead though ( could have just done that), but no steering wheel Shake.
Now reflecting on the start of the day. My driveway is on a hill and when truck is low on gas (teenage driver) it will not start. I costed down the hill arround to the lower driverway, had to put alot of effort to turn wheel and apply brake. I wonder if I messed up the rack with the manual effort to turn down the driveway? Is there a pressure regulator in the rack that just needed to rest? Humm

Back