Wheel Size Question. I know it gets asked a lot. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Size Question. I know it gets asked a lot.

baseacegoku

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT 4x4
My explorer needs some new shoes and I have been reading about tire sizes a lot on here. The problem is that I am getting mixed answers in my reading. Most say that you can fit 265/75/16 tires on a stock 3rd gen with no problems at all. But some have said that they had rubbing issues and had to add wheel spacers to fit that size tire and some have said they had to to a body lift or spacer lift to fit that size of tire.

Please help a new explorer owner figure this out.

EDIT: stock tire size is 235/70/16 on my '04 XLT 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you add what size tire yours came stock with and have now?

On the second gen's was a few options

Can you add what size tire yours came stock with and have now?

On the second gen's was a few options

2004 XLT 4x4, stock tire size is 235/70/16 and that is what is on it now.

I have a stock height 03 Limited. My factory tire size is 245-65-17. For the last two winters I have used 265-75-16 Toyos. All I did was tie back the lower rear part of the front plastic inner fenders to be sure that I wouldn't have any rubbing. This setup worked fine and I never experienced any rubbing. I mounted them on 02 Explorer Limited rims (they used 16' aluminum rims on 02 Limited) and no spacers of any kind. See my pics of my summer and winter rims.

Attachments

• Summer.jpg
    Summer.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Winter Toyo.jpg
    Winter Toyo.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 229

Also, don't forget that this will throw off your speedometer- you will actually be driving faster than indicated. Additionally, it will also alter your effective final drive ratio. It will be somewhat noticeable in off the line acceleration. The lower your factory drive ratio (higher numerical value) the better, if you are doing this tire size swap. Try to find out what width your existing rims are if you plan to use them with the larger size tires. I believe that you will want rims of at least 7.5" width to accommodate 265 tire width.

Also, don't forget that this will throw off your speedometer- you will actually be driving faster than indicated. Additionally, it will also alter your effective final drive ratio. It will be somewhat noticeable in off the line acceleration. The lower your factory drive ratio (higher numerical value) the better, if you are doing this tire size swap. Try to find out what width your existing rims are if you plan to use them with the larger size tires. I believe that you will want rims of at least 7.5" width to accommodate 265 tire width.

I'm not planning on changing the height of the tire. Just the width.

I'm not planning on changing the height of the tire. Just the width.

You mentioned 265-75-16 in your original post. This will produce a huge difference in tire height from your original tires. You cannot stay at the same overall tire height unless you reduce your aspect ratio one factor for each change up in width. You will get better answers if you state the tire size that you are actually considering.

You mentioned 265-75-16 in your original post. This will produce a huge difference in tire height from your original tires. You cannot stay at the same overall tire height unless you reduce your aspect ratio one factor for each change up in width. You will get better answers if you state the tire size that you are actually considering.

But if that's true, how come I have read on here how many 3rd gen guys have run a larger width and height of tire than mine with no problems? This is why I'm kind of confused on the tire issues

I have 245/75/16's and I am happy with them. It is a good width to aspect ratio, doesn't rub at all.

But if that's true, how come I have read on here how many 3rd gen guys have run a larger width and height of tire than mine with no problems? This is why I'm kind of confused on the tire issues

I don't know why you are confused. I told you that 265-75-16 will fit on a non-lifted vehicle, along with the implications to speedometer and gear ratio. I gave you some advice about the front inner fenders and posted pics of two different tire sizes on my vehicle. If you still don't understand, you should research what the three numbers of your tire size mean and how they affect the overall tire height when you change one or more of them.

I don't know why you are confused. I told you that 265-75-16 will fit on a non-lifted vehicle, along with the implications to speedometer and gear ratio. I gave you some advice about the front inner fenders and posted pics of two different tire sizes on my vehicle. If you still don't understand, you should research what the three numbers of your tire size mean and how they affect the overall tire height when you change one or more of them.

The confusion came from your comment about having to change tire height along with width. Not from your first post about how your 265/75/16's fit.

I want to put on 265/70/16s and just want to make sure they will fit and the only thing I'm changing on the tire is width. Not height. So the speedo should not really be affected.

The confusion came from your comment about having to change tire height along with width. Not from your first post about how your 265/75/16's fit.

I want to put on 265/70/16s and just want to make sure they will fit and the only thing I'm changing on the tire is width. Not height. So the speedo should not really be affected.

You are not understanding the basics about tire size. Go to this link, actually I have done it for you: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

Attachments

• Tire height.JPG
    Tire height.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 217

You are not understanding the basics about tire size. Go to this link, actually I have done it for you: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

Interesting link. And your right I don't understand the basics of tie size apparently. Because that doesn't make any logical sense. Why would a wider tire also be taller if it is in the same height category (70).

aspect ratio is 70 on both tires, that's 70 % of the width
one tire being wider means that makes it taller,,,

aspect ratio is 70 on both tires, that's 70 % of the width
one tire being wider means that makes it taller,,,

Well ****. I didn't know it was a percentage. Interesting. I will be using that calculator.

I'm running 255/75/17 with zero trimming or mods. Would of gone a little bigger if i knew it would of fit with trimming

fills the wheel wells much better than stock

yes that's how it works,, the numbers break down like this,,

LT means light truck,
235 is the tread width in millimeters,.,
75 is the percentage of the tread width the sidewall height is,,
r means radial,
15 is rim size,,

these numbers change,. but the combination stays the same,,

the only other way they label tires is say 35x12.5x16 ,
that's different cause it means tire is 35 tall with 12.5 width,on a 16 inch rim,,

I have 265/70r16s on mine they fit perfect but look like what should have been stock from the factory except for the fact they are toyo at's

thanks for all the responses guys. This is all very helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back