• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Stud Replacement

kingchicken318

Reaction score
City, State
Welland, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer Limited
I had to torch off a locking nut on my 93 Limited cause the last idiot I bought it off of cross threaded the locking nut. I bought a new wheel stud and I was wondering how do I get the hub assembly apart with the auto locking hubs? Something about a locking nut wrench?

Thanks ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not 100% sure what you're talking about. If it's a lug nut stud that was cross threaded - they're part of the brake rotor. If it's the spindle nut that holds the brake rotor onto the spindle, there's a number of good threads on here that describe it. The auto locking hub just pulls off (the wheel holds it onto the rotor). There are several steps you need to take to get the auto locking hub mechanism off the spindle before you get to the nut that holds the rotor on the spindle - which has a small key that you have to remove first. You won't need any special tools however. A search in this forum will find you several good descriptions (including pictures) of the entire procedure.

Welcome to the forum :wavey:
Check out the Brake job diary for lots of info and pics on removing the rotor.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just looking for a Locking Hub Nut remover and then I'm set.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just looking for a Locking Hub Nut remover and then I'm set.

If you mean the HUB socket it is 2 3/8" and can be found at many autoparts stores.

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. ;)

Back