Photos Wheeling in Montrose

hvac man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rifle, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Well guys, I thought I would post these pics I took over memorial day 03'. It started out as just a coupple of us CO boys going down for the weekend for some fun in the sun. The first day we were down there we ran a trail called Calamity. The trail is like most hard core trails with huge boulders and water falls throughout. We managed to make it off that trail without any damage. The next day we set out for a trail call Die Trying. The trail is everything that the name makes it out to be. Some say it is the hardest trail in the four boardering states. I say it was the second time I have run it and the second time breakage ocurred in the first .01 of a mile. It took us 12hrs to run the trail that day and it is only .08 of a mile long. If you want to run this trail you had better have a very capable vehicle and plenty of spare parts.

This is a pic of calamity

Attachments

• my26-055.jpg
    my26-055.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 235

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

another pic of the optional waterfall

Attachments

• my26-057.jpg
    my26-057.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 243

This is the exit out of calamity. This is also my old bronco I sold to my friend steve :)

Attachments

• my26-062.jpg
    my26-062.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 237

Ah a new day and a new trail. This is what Die Trying looks like for entire trail.

Attachments

• my26-063.jpg
    my26-063.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 220

yet another view

Attachments

• my26-068.jpg
    my26-068.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 228

broken Currie axle shaft #1 as a total for the day Steve broke 2 Currie axle shafts :(

Attachments

• my26-067.jpg
    my26-067.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 228

Just waiting for more broken vehicles.

Attachments

• my26-069.jpg
    my26-069.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 220

part of the lineup that day.

Attachments

• my26-071.jpg
    my26-071.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 224

HOLY SH*T, that looks like some hardcore stuff. If you've got the vehicle I bet it is awesome.

Last obsticle Steve broke another axle shaft :( At least he is still my friend but it never broke when I had it :)

Attachments

• my26-075.jpg
    my26-075.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 200

on last one for the explorer crowd :) Here is mrboyle parked at the trail head of Calamity. Us CO guys do get around :)

Attachments

• my26-053.jpg
    my26-053.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 223

Travis this is hardcore at its best. I would love to guide a group of Explorers up these trails if anyone would be brave enough to take an X up them:) Rick, Tom, anyone with solid axle and 36" tires or bigger?

Where at in CO is this? I know it's quite a ways from WV but just curioius. I don't have anything close to that so I wouldn't dare try it but it would be just as fun to watch or ride with someone.

This is in southwest CO near Grand Junction. The city is called Montrose. The trails are very hard to find unless you know where you are going. If there is some intrest in the future I'll let you know.

Alright, I would like to make a trip out west sometime next year and drive all the trails I can. Hopefully, if all goes well with a job, I'll have a SAS. That's a big IF.

HVAC,
I wish I would have known that was you with the group on Saturday. I was the one video taping the comp Jeep playing on the first waterfall in Calamity (the guy that told the driver his seat belt was hitting the drive line). If you are interested I'll make you a copy of the video. It has footage of several Jeeps (and crawlers) playing on the same waterfall, some footage of them coming up the canyon and several different attempts at the climb out of the canyon.

Oh yea, nice pick of my X, too bad I had the stupid window shades in :rolleyes:

Yeah I wasn't sure what you looked like in person so I couldn't make you out. The shades look like you are gonna leave it there for a week...lol

The silver (unpainted) IFS buggy actualy belongs to a buddy. You might know him from the rock crawling comps. His name is Pat Germilian he used to drive a bright orange bronco. This lates thing is actualy a work in progress. It has an a-arm style suspention with hummer portals. He also is running 42" tread. The thing only works good because of the 42's. He also is the owner of premier power welder and pull-pal.

serious action!

Nice! I've been out to Montrose 2-3 times now... great area. Man, looks like you're in the bush.

Nope, can't compete w/ these muthas, but the run looks like a good time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah this is as serious as it gets in CO.

Back