Wheels won't fit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheels won't fit

okay,

I got a set of rims for christmas. I was told by the guy at Town Fair Tire that the wheels would fit over my 4x4 hub. I just test fitted the rims and the hub won't fit through the hole in the middle of the rim.

I was wondering. You know the part of the hub that sticks through the wheel and bolts on to the rotor. Is it possible to leave that off for the summer. Obviously I won't be able to use 4 wheel drive, however I won't need it. I'll probably just have to get a spacer to make up for the hub being removed.

Any input would be great....

Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not recomend dooing removing the front hubs and driving the vehicle. The hub serves several purposes (including its job locking in the axle) and one of thoes is to seal the wheel bearings from dirt and other foreign contaminates. If I were you I would take the wheels back and demand replacements that will fit or a refund (providing you haven't mounted tires on them yet). If you absoutley have to have these exact wheels try taking them to a machine shop and see if they can enlarge the hole enough to clear your hub without ruining the integrity of the wheel.

Originally posted by mrboyle
If you absoutley have to have these exact wheels try taking them to a machine shop and see if they can enlarge the hole enough to clear your hub without ruining the integrity of the wheel.

yeah, a few people on the boards have done that and that's what I would do if I were you.

I'm going to drop them off to a machinist and have him open up the hole a little. I measured the hub and the size of the hole in the wheel. It ended up being 1/4" too small. So boring the hole a little larger should work out.

Thanks guys

dont forget to post some pics when the rims are done :)

Most definately, we want pics.

Back