removeing4x4 hubs for rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removeing4x4 hubs for rims?

I have a 93 4x4 and as we all know the front hubs get in the way of most aftermarket rims. My question is would i mess anything up by taking the hubs off anr just putting new wheels on? I know my 4x4 wouldn't work with out hubs but i never use my 4wd in the summer anyways. So could i take the hubs off in the summer for nice wheels, then for winter put the hubs and stock rims back on and have my 4x4 work again? I saw a guy around my town with out his 4x4 hubs on but i didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. what do you guys think? Am i gonna mess anything up? Is it possible to put an IFS front end off a newer body style on my truck so i could have rims and 4x4?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure he didn't have a 2wd?

:nono: You cannot drive around without HUBS. The HUBS seal the Wheel bearings and prevent crap from contaminating them...

DeRocha said:
:nono: You cannot drive around without HUBS. The HUBS seal the Wheel bearings and prevent crap from contaminating them...

Without the hubs on you'd probably throw all the grease from your wheel bearings as well.

If you can weld, I suppose you could hollow out some old hubs and cut them down a little bit. They'd have to be long enough to clear the splined axel shaft though, so I doubt that would help much.

Switching to IFS from your TTB front suspension would be major work.

bates said:
Are you sure he didn't have a 2wd?

I am sure it was a 4 wheel drive he didn't have center caps and you could see there wasn't a dust cap or anything.

^ not very smart

You could fairly easly convert yours to a 2wd, just get a set of the 2wd beams, spindels, and breaks. A trip to the junk yard and you'd be able to put your wheels on. I agree...that dude wasn't very smart.

code

I have wheel spacers on my wheels which causes a gap where the hubs don't stick out as much. You know the wheel spacers that include there own extended studs, mine are out far enough where I can make it look 2WD. That way you won't have to remove your hubs. And to fix the offset it will create just get a ricer type of wheel with a negative off set. could look nice on a lowered first gen.

since ur wheel will be so nice and you don't require 4x4 so much I assume getting wheel spacers won't hurt

Back