Where can I look up bumper hieght laws for Chicagoland? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where can I look up bumper hieght laws for Chicagoland?

377Z

Reaction score
City, State
Lemont, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
I'm looking to do a custom 4" lift on the '91 XLT and would like to find out if I'm breaking any laws that I can get ticketed for BEFORE I go through all the work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Are bumper hieght laws all I need to worry about?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check this out
http://www.therangerstation.com/LiftLaws.html
I dont know if it is up to date exactly. Guess it is pretty good. But I see guys with a lot more lift running around the streets all the time without any problems. A 4" lift isnt going to get you into problems. You tires sticking to far out will cause an issue first in most cases
Gary

You could go to your local DMV and they will be able to help you find all your answers.

Call up Godmudders in Alsip (on South Ridgeland), they should know. They do alot of extreme lifts on HD trucks...

Thank you very much guys!!

I just found some VERY depressing info--bumpers can't be more than 22 inches from the ground. Ugh.

But, I will call Godmudder's to verify. Thanks again!

Double check that, I think that it's 27"...

Dave

I guess it depends on what Illinois defines as a multipurpose vehicle--the legalese is hard for me to interpret. Theres a class for 27 fromt bumper, 29 rear for vehicles between 4500~7400 GVWR, but its unclear whether or not the it needs to carry 10 people or more.

I just called Godmudder's & a guy said 24 front 26 rear with the "carryall" tag. The guy mentioned that they can alter the GVWR legally for you, but at that point he lost me as it involves annual inspections and certification to legally go more than 15 miles out of state (which I exceed almost every summer weekend). I still have to go & measure the stock height (I'm at work right now), hopefully I may still be able to add 4 inches.

Back