• Register Today It's free!

Where is the Radius Arm??

dsfii93sport

Reaction score
City, State
Indy, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Can someone explain where the radius arm is? I want to replace the bushing but not sure where the radius arm is located. I priced the busings at pepboys and they want 12.99 for it, says it comes with 2 peices, does this pack only supply one side? Do i need only on the front or both rear and front?

I can see the stabilizer bar and its insulators, but I dont think this is the radius arm? any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I just, literally JUST did this 10 min. ago!!!
I got mine from Performance Accessories and you should have a total of four (4) rubber bushings.
The radius arms are what stick out from the front axle back to the crossmember for the transmission.
The arms are behind the front axle-- I'm sure once yousee it, you will figure out where the bushings go.

here is a pic of a radius arm.. The shock is bolted to the radius arm..

KG_conversion10.jpg

and here is a picture of what the radius arm should look like..

RADIUSARMCOMP_STOCK.jpg

Ok, so the pack I bought came w/ 2 bushings in each box. I got 2 boxes. Do these go on the frame side or the axle side?

you should have a bushing on each side.. Just make sure you do one side at a time and remember how the washers come off also.. Its important to put them back on in the same order they came off.. Also the passenger side will have a heat cover that the crivers side will not have..

Busing on each side?? You mean both the axle side and the crossmember side? The radius arm as 3 connections... 2 on the axle side, 1 on the crossmeber side, where are the bushings that I replace? The ones on the crossmember side or are there ones under the spring on the axle side.

Just crawl under there and see how it is now. Thats how i figured it out. The hardest thing about changing them is that you gotta grind the rivets off and then hit them out with a big ass hammer.

there are a total of 4 bushings for RA

i modifed the picture posted above that apears to be the drivers side RA and mount. the pic below has red lines indicating the location of the bushings in relation to the mount

Attachments

• ra.jpg
    ra.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 549

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you much... ;)

keep in mind this is about a 10 hour job! DAM THOSE RIVETS ARE TOUGH!

Pheonixx77 said:
keep in mind this is about a 10 hour job! DAM THOSE RIVETS ARE TOUGH!

Huh?? 10 hour job.. More like an hour at the most. From his post all he is going to do is replace the bushings. Couple of big bolts and your done..

NusenseSD said:
Huh?? 10 hour job.. More like an hour at the most. From his post all he is going to do is replace the bushings. Couple of big bolts and your done..
Ever changed yours?

Pheonix knows what he's talking about! I replaced the RA bushings on a '94 ranger. Let me just say that the $300 the shop was going to charge would have been money well spent!

AspenX said:
Ever changed yours?
Yes, but drop down brackets for the crossmember came with the lift--
Made it real easy-- popped off 8 bolts, took the whole crossmember off, put bushings on, put it together, and PRESTO done in 20 minutes!!

If you have rivets, it will take several hours even if you know what you're doing. It just takes time to get your grinder, mask, and get under there.

On the other hand, if you already have done the rivets in the past, all that's involved is removing some bolts...and then it can be done in an hour if you ate your wheaties.

it does not take several hours to cahnge out the ra bishings.....

it will take several hours to cahnge out the crossmember due to the rivits holding it to the frame... however for the ra bushings you dont need to remove the crossmember

Jim how do you get the front one out without taking the crossmember out? There is no way you can pull the axle forward enough to get them loose.

there is, you take out the spring, shock and swaybar and there is enough room to do it

you dont need to take of the crossmember

and before anyone says, you dont know what you are talking about, i have done it at my work several times... takes an hour to do both sides of front and back bushings (total of 4)

Oh cool. I was just curius. If you plan on putting a lift in the future i would prob take the cross member out. Just my 2 cents

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AspenX said:
Ever changed yours?

Nope.. never changed mine.. But I have removed the ENTIRE front suspension of my ranger when I put the Bell Tech drop beams on.. Took me 4 hours to drop a ranger front and rear that includes removing and replacing the beams..

Like what was said before .. You remove the sway bar, front steering and spring and the whole front end will drop plenty enough for you to get the radius arms out of the crossmember.. Not only that but why would you want to remove the rivots? Then you have to drill out the frame so you can throw some bolts back on just to get the crossmember back on..

Back