• Register Today It's free!

Where should i get started?

baseballer1100

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mercury Mountaineer 99
I have a 1999 mercury mountaineer..I know some about off roading but not alot...I dont want to do too much but i want to do enough to go off roading in some tough places..I mostly like the mud so things along that nature..Should i start out by getting a lift kit, suspension, transmisson, tires, I am clueless when it comes to this stuff but i really want to learn and get into this because i really like it. Thanks for all your help..

-Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torsion Twist, 3" body lift, 33" tires, lockers front and rear, sway bar disconnects and gears if needed. That about the most cost effective combiniation there is for a 2nd gen in my opinion :)

Then comes the superlift kit which is way to expensive i think.

Then a solid axle swap (what i'm doing) and think is the best value for the performance...but not for everyone as i'm doing ALL the work myself :)

How much should that cost? Where can you get it from?

which option?

torsion twist is free, just turn some bolts (do a search), shackles are about 50, bl is about 100, gears and lockers can run around 1g, tires 500-1000

superlift is around 1500

SAS can range from hardly nothing, to 10000 easy (i'm comming in well under 2g for mine)

Thats alot of money I just basically want a lift 4 inch and 33 inch tires

A tortion twist will give you an easy 2" lift up front, longer shackles for your rear springs with maybe adding another leaf to your rear leaf springs for the rear 2" lift and then a 2 or 3" body lift..which will give you the 4 or 5" lift you desire...we recommend a 5" lift to fit the 33 inch tires.

And those Kumho tires are a great deal! I got the 33" MT's for under 600 (for 5, got the spare too), and my AEAlloys for about 110 a rim. Total investment was less than 1200 for rims and tires. If you just do the body lift, you'll be out another 100 bucks, if you can install it yourself you've got a respectable rig at a good price. Then the t/t for free, and either springs or shackles on the cheap. There was a place mentioned here that had springs for 91-01 explorers in stock, 1", 2", 4" 6", or 8" lift. And they were pretty cheap from what I remember! Good luck.

the hardest thing for me is finding the stuff and i have no experience in the field so i dont know if i would be able to install myself. Where are the best prices and the cheapest prices? to get this stuff?

shackles you can install yourself... torsion twist you an do yourself... Body lift could either be a hassle, or easy, just depends, and is very time consuming.

See i dont have anytime between baseball and football....sooo i might just be getting into something i should wait on

shackles and torsion twist should be nothing more than a 2 hour job - tops.

a body lift is another story, could take anywhere from 4-8 hours.

parts etc

Lockers Front $229.00
( If you have LSD they can not be used in the rear, so keep the LSD)

http://www.offroadlockers.com/home.php//////AUSSIE/.html

Rear Leaf Springs $126.00 CANADIAN dollars

Dead Link Removed

Body Lift PA883 = 3 Inch ( RANGER not Explorer )

Dead Link Removed

this is a mounty, so its a v8 awd, so it would def not be a good idae to put a locker up front without first swaping out the tcase.......

Mounty = AWD??

Sorry,

We do not have Mounties here, I was under the impression a Mounty was exactly the same as an explorer, I didnt know they were AWD and If they are a locker is a pretty bad ideal then.

Yeah well my transmisson is messed up now, you have to be in neutral to go in reverse, 2 to go in drive...Do you all know how to fix this before i start all this other work on my car?

Hey guys im lookin for the cheapest and easiest way for a 2.5 lift for a 91 explorer sport i overhauled the motor and painted but it just needs a lil more beef for the mud pits back over i was thinkin like 31-33's with a 2.5 in lift will it work and how

search...

yeah it will work i think james duffs lift is a 2.5'' or just do a 3in bl

Back