• Register Today It's free!

where to put oil on K&N Filter???

pballernyc

Reaction score
City, State
staten island, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 V8 XLT
Hi, i have a K&N Reusable Air filter and would like to know where to apply the oil after cleaning. I'm a little confused, do i put the oil on the side that the air from outside contacts first, or do i put the oil on the side facing the throttle body, or perhaps both sides??

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Over Oiling

Don't over oil the filter. This commonly happens with the "more is better" theory and as a result the oil can get on the MAF sensor wires and cause poor driveability among other things.

So only oil one side. The side to oil is the side where air comes in from outside the engine bay (side farthest from the Throttle body). The air coming into the engine will help pull oil into the back half of the filter over time.

When you are done oiling it, you need to take a paper towel or rag and lightly go over the whole filter to soak up any excess oil.

Good luck.

just follow the directions, oil the outside, nice fluid even motion....just like spray painting, keep the can like 9" away and just coat it lightly, to where theres a color change, and youo probly should do the whole thing and let it it for a while.........just like the instructions say

I noticed you have a 2002 If the filter is new there is no need to oil it.

It was new, it's just that i drove through some really dusty, dusty conditions. My whole truck needed a tuneup

I'm going to oil the side facing the air intake, and not the throttle body now.

thanks

Back