Where to put temp gauge sensor at? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to put temp gauge sensor at?

dman726749

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Ok, so i am going to install an aux tranny cooler this weekend, and since i will be in there installing things i figured a temp gauge would be a good idea....so far i have read about the temp gauges in an aux filter housing...dont really want to go down this road.....so i was thinking of insalling the sensor in a brass 't' and putting it inline with all the new tranny lines this weekend....so should i put it before the rad...between teh rad and cooler...or after the cooler, or does it not matter at all????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would want to mount it on the line coming out of the transmission for the most accurate results. If you mount it on the return line, it will have a lower temperature because the fluid is cooled down by the cooler in front of the radiator. Some people mount it directly on the pan. This will require adding a bushing, and gasket to the pan for the temperature sensor. Some companies sell deep pans with this fitting already installed.

I bought an iron pipe coupler from Lowes for $1.20 and welded it on the pan. It worked perfect. The Autometer weld on fitting was about $6 plus shipping. I'm just sorry I didn't have a camera to get pics when I did it. I you don't have a welder then take off your pan and make the hole where you want it. Make sure the sender won't hit the valve body. Then take the pan and coupler to a muffler shop and have them weld it for you. :thumbsup:
There are also fittings that don't have to be welded. They use a nylon washer. But I couldn't find one that would work with my sender.
The pan is the correct place for the sender. Not the lines. ;)

The reason I used the pipe fitting is because it has the same tapered threads as the sender fitting.

Back