Where to wire third brake light on 01 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to wire third brake light on 01 Sport Trac

I have a 2001 SportTrac. I added a camper shell that has the third brake light molded in it. I thought about using the trailer light connection to get my brake light, but then remembered that brake and blinker came through the same wire. Is there somewhere at the rear of the truck I can pull the brake + from that doesn't utilize the blinkers also?

Thanks, Brent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tap into the brake light wire from your taillights.

Tap into the brake light wire from your taillights.

The brake light @ the tail lights are also the blinker lead. The brake light would flash when I activate the turn signal.

The brake light @ the tail lights are also the blinker lead. The brake light would flash when I activate the turn signal.
Wow I didn't know that. So if you pulled the bulbs out of the housing, all stop bulbs would be overridden by the turn signal?

Wow I didn't know that. So if you pulled the bulbs out of the housing, all stop bulbs would be overridden by the turn signal?

Not sure about your question but...

There are 4 wires going to your tail lights (excluding reverse lamps)

1. A ground --going to both tail lights
2. a running (parking) light lead-- going to both tail lights
3. two blinker leads -- one to right and one to left. These are energized with +dc voltage when the blinker is engaged, via a blinker solenoid. This interrupts the voltage which causes the "blinking" action. When the brakes are applied the solenoid is bypassed and +dc voltage is sent uninterrupted to both tail lights.

The above is an observation, not unnecessarily fact. This is what I have concluded by testing wires looking for a brake wire.

Now.. FWIW, I climbed under the truck with a voltmeter last night. I found two pig-tails in the towing light wire loom. They are labeled "Aux +" and "Aux-" these are brake light leads. Pulled them through the truck bed and hooked them up... Works perfectly.

Good Job, that's all it takes sometimes is a multimeter and a little perseverance.

Back