• Register Today It's free!

Where's that engineer!!!!

StickmanC

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I just changed the vacuum diaphram on the transmission of my 94 exploder, what a pain in the azz.:confused: There looks like there was a lot more options to mount that heat shield a different way than what they did. Anybody else ever change this out? My left arm looks like I fought with a cat.:eek:

Problem with the auto engineers is that they are compartmentalized and don't necessarily get to see the whole pix. I'm sure the tranny design engineers had NO input at all into the heat shield placement, and the exhaust design engineer had NO input to the tranny design. Also, each year, the engineers are supposed to make x number of changes to a vehicle to keep the "design fresh". Sometimes the engineers just run out of good ideas and change whatever just to meet the requirements. Stupid, but that's what happens.

Also, it depends on how easy it was to install with robots on the assebly line. Time is money, and every second counts.

Having once worked as a design engineer on heavy duty trucks, I will add some insight:

1. JDraper has a good point - The engineer who designed the transmission won't be the same guy who designed the exhaust system. In fact, they may not even work in the same building or even for the same company. For example, the transmission is designed by a division of Ford, but the transfer case it bolts to is designed by Borg-Warner.

2. An engineer has many design constraints when designing a part or system. Cost constraints, manufacturing (assembly) constraints, time constraint, etc, etc, etc. Sometimes serviceability is one of the constraints (it was where I worked) but sometimes it is near the bottom of the list. Every design ends up as a compromise to meet the constraints as best as possible. I know that most engineers want to design the best parts and systems possible, but the accountants and managers set cost goals that make the perfect design unrealistic.

3. Even if the engineer recognizes a problem (like you cant replace the modulator without removing the skin from your arm in the process) he may not be able to correct the problem. Engineering time is expensive, so he may be directed to work on other problems which will bring in revenue, rather than correct problems which have already been sold. Its not right, but it often is the way it is.

4. Like any other profession, there are good design engineers and bad design engineers. I just hope that the bad ones are the ones doing the upholstery, and not the ones designing the brake system ;)

Back