• Register Today It's free!

which engine to buy?

Thomas Mackin

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River,Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I am looking at another truck O6 Limited V8 or 07 Eddie Bauer V6. How much worse is the mileage for the V8? Also I think in 08 they changed the plug wells and you could tell by the boot color? brown or black if it was the new design? I know it was about 1K more when newfor the V8. Are the newer V6's quieter than my old 02 XLT which has lots of engine noise? Might look for the better engine in an o8?

I am looking at another truck O6 Limited V8 or 07 Eddie Bauer V6. How much worse is the mileage for the V8? Also I think in 08 they changed the plug wells and you could tell by the boot color? brown or black if it was the new design? I know it was about 1K more when newfor the V8. Are the newer V6's quieter than my old 02 XLT which has lots of engine noise? Might look for the better engine in an o8?

Brown boot = new spark plug design...they changed it in mid 2008 I think

The mileage is almost identical between the v-6 and v-8. But with the V-8 you get way more power/torque and a better transmission (6 speed auto with a really deep first gear).

ronin is correct V8 is the way to go, everything he is saying is correct, I have both V6 & V8, also remember the V6's self destructing timing chain problems, I seen them go at 100,000 I seen them go at 180,000 miles, never know, the v6 has a bad design on those timing chains, plus the engine has to come out of the truck to replace the chains, the V6 is a huge loser in my mind just to that fact. taxi cabs run the 4.6 for 400,000 mile these engine run a realy long time

Agree

Also depends on your use. I could not get 150 miles out of a tank of gas towing a 5000lb trailer on the V6. I specifically moved to the V8 and have measure the gas mileage on both extensively, under various loads. if anything, the V8 gets better mileage, reliability and horsepower. In a used vehicle you cannot go wrong if you have a choice.

I drove to Maryland from Canada to get a 2010 with a V8. Not many up here for sale.

Back