Which Explorer or Mountaineer is the best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Explorer or Mountaineer is the best?

Model Explorer

Reaction score
Looking to get a relative who lives in the country on dirt and gravel roads a newer Explorer or Mountaineer. She already owns a 98 V8 AWD XLT, but with high miles and would like something with less miles. Probably a 99-01 with 60K, hopefully for $6-7,000
Obviously the Explorer and the Mountaineer are nearly the same, but...

1) Do the 255 16 inch size tires on the Limited or Eddie Bauer make any difference vs the 235 15 inch on most of the others?

2) Any seat comfort difference between the leather XLT, Eddie Bauer or Limited models?

3) is the automatic climate control reliable, or does it need expensive repairs?

4) Is the Mountaineer tuned different for ride or handling?

5) Does the sohc V6/5 speed automatic/control trac 4wd get better mileage or performance vs the V8/awd

thanks in advance!

Looking to get a relative who lives in the country on dirt and gravel roads a newer Explorer or Mountaineer. She already owns a 98 V8 AWD XLT, but with high miles and would like something with less miles. Probably a 99-01 with 60K, hopefully for $6-7,000
Obviously the Explorer and the Mountaineer are nearly the same, but...

1) Do the 255 16 inch size tires on the Limited or Eddie Bauer make any difference vs the 235 15 inch on most of the others?

2) Any seat comfort difference between the leather XLT, Eddie Bauer or Limited models?

3) is the automatic climate control reliable, or does it need expensive repairs?

5) Does the sohc V6/5 speed automatic/control trac 4wd get better mileage or performance vs the V8/awd

thanks in advance!

1) 255's are always nicer, especially for dirt and gravel

2) Limited has the best seats.

3) the DATC doesnt suffer from the costly repairs some GM auto systems require

4) no

5) about the same mpgs

imo your best bet is an 00-01 LTD or 00-01 mountaineer Monterey/Premier.

5) Does the sohc V6/5 speed automatic/control trac 4wd get better mileage or performance vs the V8/awd.

My answers:
------------

1) No. Looks mostly and marginal handling differences.

2) Probably very similar. I think EB and Limited may have more features. My front EB seats are heated and have power on both sides. I think XLT may only be power on driver's side (like my old Sport). Limited may have memory function (not sure).

3) Very reliable.

4) No.

5) I've had two Explorers w/ 4.0 SOHC and 4WD and my current ride is 5.0 AWD. SOHC is a great engine and holds its own against 5.0. I found mileage to be similar and performance to be "different". I do prefer the sex appeal of the 5.0. I really like the torquey feel of the V8 and you cannot beat the sound. You'll read scores of posts about people who say their SOHC sounds like a V8 with the right exhaust. WRONG. Nothing but a V8 sounds like a V8.

Of course with AWD you can't switch it and you don't have true 4WD if you want to do anything resembling wheeling. The 4Hi and 4Lo is a nice thing to have especially if you get winter (I do). However, with proper snow tires (and even with all season), but EB handles the winter with ease. I really like how sure footed it is with AWD.

If you go SOHC, make sure you make sure the timing chain work has been done. If not, move along until you find one with the work performed.

I REALLY like my Eddie. It all comes down the personal preference though. I like "some" XLTs, Limiteds and Mountaineers too. Lots to choose from.

Back