which oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which oil?

jrguzmanr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer 4.0
I recently purchased 2004 v6 explorer with 92k and want to start changing fluids with the first being oil. Which oil should I use? full synthetic or a blend? If it helps, the truck has one of those oil stickers with the next change mileage from a ford dealer.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use valvoline high mileage blend had no issues with it.

use valvoline fullsyn, then sign up for the engine guarantee

I recently purchased 2004 v6 explorer with 92k and want to start changing fluids with the first being oil. Which oil should I use? full synthetic or a blend? thanks
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I recommend using a full synthetic 5w-30 oil. Engine seems to run quieter since I switched to full synthetic. Everyone has their own personal preference on what brand to use. I would use a well known brand rather than a generic brand of oil and use a quality oil filter, not a cheap one. You can get 5,000 miles between oil changes when used in conjunction with a quality long life filter. I just did my oil change last week and I got 5 quarts of Castrol Edge Full synthetic oil 5w-30 plus a Bosch Distance Plus filter Part # D3410 on sale at Advance Auto Parts for $32 +tax. Advance Auto has oil and filter combo sales of various brands every week in their stores.

I use Penzoil, full synthetic. I really don't think it matters WHICH synthetic you use, but I think most agree that the full synthetic is best. I also like to use the Fram Extended Guard filter. I LIKE to use the Amsoil filer, as I think it's a better filter, but it's like...$12/filter. The point is, your stadard paper element filter is not designed to go more than 5K mi, between changes. The Fram Extended Guard, and Amsoil filter ar designed to go for 10K miles, between changes.

I LIKE to use the Amsoil filer, as I think it's a better filter, but it's like...$12/filter. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Bosch Distance PLus or High Performance filters run around $13-$14 each, but when you buy them included in a full synthetic oil and filter combo pack from Advance Auto, you can get the whole thing for a little over $30.00 with the weekly deals they run. Much cheaper this way than buying the filter seperately from the oil.

>>>>>>>>>The point is, your stadard paper element filter is not designed to go more than 5K mi, between changes. The Fram Extended Guard, and Amsoil filter ar designed to go for 10K miles, between changes.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From what I've been told from a parts store clerk, it is the quality of the filter element inside of an oil filter that makes or breaks it and the number of return holes it has in it as well. More holes, better oil flow. Personally, I wouldn't go 10k between oil or filter changes. For the cost of an oil and filter change, it isn't worth the risk to the engine. BTW, I would also recommend the Fram oil filter, have used them myself in the past, but haven't used an Amsoil one yet.

At less than $5, the Motorcraft FL-820S is proven at non extended OCI's.

Find out what was used previously.. Don't wanna mix synthetic and conventional.

Find out what was used previously.. Don't wanna mix synthetic and conventional.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can safely drain an engine that previously used conventional oil and switch over to full synthetic without a problem.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can safely drain an engine that previously used conventional oil and switch over to full synthetic without a problem.

True but I kinda worry about the detergents & stuff in the oil.. Since they is always some residual oil left inside.. Then again I did switch from conventional to synthetic on a few vehicles with no troubles.

True but I kinda worry about the detergents & stuff in the oil.. Since they is always some residual oil left inside..>>>>>>>

Yeah, you can never just drain every last drop of the previously used oil out of an engine, but when I think of all the various brands of oil I used in my vehicles over the years, meaning used different brands at oil change intervals, and the differences in the blends and detergents used in each make, I never had any internal engine problems from it. There was one guy in here I wrote to last year, can't remember his name, who swore his engine blew due to switching to Pennzoil full synthetic oil. He said it was the type of detergents they used in their oil that caused internal engine parts to loosen up and fail. I told that story to a parts guy I know, and he said he didn't believe that could ever happen with todays oils. The guy whose engine blew couldn't prove this, just something he believed happened to his engine because of the Pennzoil oil he started using.

>>>>>>>>>Then again I did switch from conventional to synthetic on a few vehicles with no troubles.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think as long as you do regular oil and filter changes and use quality products and the right weight oil, you'll have very few problems with the internal parts of your engine.

Really doesn't matter which oil you use as long as it's a known name and you change it when you should. Conventional or Synthetic will be your own choice.

I have always used the weight recommended by the auto manufacturer and have always done all of my oil changes as well as all other maintenance & repairs. I buy the 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart of Mobile clean 5000. It's about $13.00 bucks + a Motorcraft filter for another $3.50. I go 4,000 miles between oil changes & my oil is still always nice & clean. I only use the Mobile because that's my preference. I'm sure the Valvoline, Castroll, etc would be just as good.

Don't believe all the hype about these oil additives in a bottle either, just a bunch of snake oil. Stick with good clean oil & you will be just fine!

Yea I did a recent oil analysis on our Highlander after changing to synthetic last year.. So far its been good.. The only thing that bugs me is that the freaking idiots at the dealership overtightened the little canister filter drain plug to the point a 3/8" square won't budge it.. Has to drop the entire canister.

I always use Mobil 1 fully synthetic extended performance or Castrol Edge oil in my 02 explorer & i use a motorcraft oil filter i use to buy the $8+ oil filters but i stopped using them i just use the motorcraft ones now.

i use royal purple syn

I have an '04 with 100k on the clock. If economics are important, Motorcraft Oil and Filter is a very safe bet. I also set the Oil change reminder to 4k rather than the 5k. At 4k I change it about twice a year, I also rotate the tires while i'm at it.

92k isn't really that high a mileage these days. I've sent a few different used oils to a lab and got the best results with Pennzoil Platinum.

Back