• Register Today It's free!

Another oil change question

martin_95037

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6 V8
Today I changed my oil. There where a total of 4 partial containers. All said 5w-20. They where the following types. Conventional, synthetic blend and full synthetic. Is this an issue? Should I drain it and put 1 kind in? Not doing much driving in the next few days.

244xxx on the clock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today I changed my oil. There where a total of 4 partial containers. All said 5w-20. They where the following types. Conventional, synthetic blend and full synthetic. Is this an issue? Should I drain it and put 1 kind in? Not doing much driving in the next few days.

244xxx on the clock.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it were newer and with less miles I wouldnt do that but as long as you put in the correct amount I think you'll be fine. Project Farm did this test and didn't notice any issues. But from now on I'd just order 2 5 quart jugs of 5w20 from costco for 30 bucks. Fully synthetic.

I get the 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance or High Mileage from Walmart,

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full-Synthetic Motor Oil 5W20, 5 quart ($28)
Mobil 1 High Mileage Full-Synthetic Motor Oil 5W20, 5 Quart ($24)

These usually run $25-$28 for 5 quarts. I get another single quart since it seems to take a bit more than 5.

I also pick up a Motorcraft oil filter,

Motorcraft-FL820S Oil Filter ($4)

I saw a test where they cut up allot of oil filters and the Motorcraft filter is essentially exactly the same on the inside as the Mobile 1 filter for less than half the cost.

This gets me a full synthetic oil change with a good filter for about $40 total, which is pretty nice.

I don't see any problem with your blend as most people use some kind of blend anyway. I would be more careful if you were racing or doing something where your engine was running excessively hot for a long time.

LMHmedchem

Nah you'll be fine

Define fresh oil? I had some old super tech conventional that I added towards the end, not a lot. Also not everything was the same brand. Motorcraft, super tech, penzoil.

No problem with mixing all of those...

Oil doesn’t go bad sitting on a shelf. I remember running some 1970s Purple Power oil in my vintage Arctic Cat during one of the grass drag seasons.

If you watch the Walmart sales you can get the mobile one extended performance for around $21.

Walmart_Oil_Change.png

Back