which power steering pump to buy?

Lazerskull

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer, XLT
well i guess my pump finally died

i wonder if the severely cold weather (it was -4 degrees F overnight for about a week)

we had had anything to do with it, maybe the lines froze and the pump went dry and then it died

i dunno

the point is which of these on rockauto.com is the best one to buy???? (see link)

THANKS APPRECIATE THE ADVICE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

id go with MC reman or cardon new

I threw a new cardone or whatever in my 5.0, No problems

Your fluid didn’t freeze, but it does get thick when very cold. Pumps tend to leak. Never had one straight up blow out—usually the rack will blow seals.

Some motherhood I learned from flying jets…any time it’s really cold out, let your vehicle idle for at least a few minutes after you cold start it. Not for your engine, but for your hydraulics (PS in this case). The pump will develop pressure, which will begin slowly warming up the fluid. The absolute worst thing you can do is fire up your truck on a balls cold morning, immediately throw it in gear, and crank the wheel right over while stopped on dry pavement—you’re asking to blow **** out.

I think this conversion will fit your Explorer. I did this swap on my 1994, and so have several other members. Much stronger, more reliable pumps, and they are quiet. It was almost as easy as changing the OEM pump.

There is a entire parts list towards the end of the Pugly thread, starts on page 51

Back