Changed power steering pump today... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed power steering pump today...

fordkid88

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I changed the power steering pump today, flushed the system, no leaks that I can see at this time, no whining unless its cranked all the way to either end, but it feels like I have to really turn the wheel to get the wheels to turn.

Now if it makes a difference I had her up on jack stands when I was turning the wheel, unfortunately I cant really take her out for a drive right now because I need to fix the exhaust and I dont have it registered at the moment.

I am pretty sure that you are suppose to bleed the system with the front wheels off the ground, turning slowly from lock to lock until the air is out so you did good dude.

I don't think it really matters whether or not the wheels are on the ground or off the ground when you bleed the system...off the ground just makes it easier initially...I've changed serveral pumps out over time and in several vehicles and always have left the tires on the ground. But if you left the cap on the reservoir when you bled the system, it didn't actually get bled...if it still feels tight, remove the cap from the power steering fluid reservoir, turn the wheels from lock to lock, and you should feel it gradually get easier.

Back