• Register Today It's free!

Which SHOCK ABsorbers are better?

MaxeLL97

Reaction score
City, State
FortLee, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XL
I have to replace the shock absorbers in my 2000 ford explorer (85k miles) for the first time.... But i don't know which shocks to go with. Any good brands out there? what should i look for? Any suggestions would help...thanks!

Eddie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

monroe sensatrac or reflexes... good for all around street driving.....

the rancho 9000 are great and adjustable but are expensive, and not needed if just a daily streeter!

jimabena74 said:
the rancho 9000 are great and adjustable but are expensive, and not needed if just a daily streeter!

I beg your pardon .... I run Rancho 9000x on my daily driver; best shock I have ever had.

I just installed a set of Rancho 5000's on my 2000 Sport, and couldn't be happier. They are a good all-around shock if you don't want/need the adjustability of the 9000's.

The Pro-Comps look suspiciously like Ranchos, at a much lower price........?

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
The Pro-Comps look suspiciously like Ranchos, at a much lower price........?
Ranchos are made by Monroe (parent company Tenneco). Monroe and Gabriel (Arvin) actually make or license internals for most brands of light truck and 4x4 shocks so that is why many brands including the Pro-Comps tend to look very much alike and can be at very similar price points. Basically they are all quite similar, because they are. Even some brands that get more respect like Old Man Emu are still glorified Monroe.

More performance brands like Koni and Bilstein are their own real brands and technolgies but as generally more on-road based than off-road (although Bilstein does have a successful off road racing line as well).

When choosing shocks, you need to decide eactly what kind of driving you are going to do and target brands that head that way and fit your budget. Since these vehicles can serves uses from road going family truckster, to tow vehicle, to light or heavy off-roader then you need to pick a shock with similar goals. You might be amazed at how much they can improve your handling and ride. Sorry for the long post, I work in the shock business.

I like my rancho 9000X's more than any shock I've ever had on my truck (94 Sport).
Started with Motorcraft/OEM shocks, 0-75000 miles. They were ok.
Went to Edelbrock IAS, 75-95000 miles. They were no good for a 1st gen.
Went to Rancho 9000X, 95000-113000 and counting. Great shock.

jimabena74 said:
monroe sensatrac or reflexes... good for all around street driving.....

What he said. I scored the Reflex and they're great shocks (I also have a 2000). Lots of good press on Sensa Trac too. Ranchos are made by Monroe and seem like overkill for the road and have a big pricetag to boot. They seem to market them for offroad applications, although some people swear by them for the street. If money's no object, go Rancho. If you don't have a Rancho budget, you won't go wrong with the Monroe offerings.

The Rancho 5000S is the same as the Reflex shock. I bought the Reflex, because the were cheaper, and in stock locally.

Match your usage to a shock, they all handle differently, softer, harsher, etc. It isn't just price. Example; the Sensatrac is a soft riding shock, the Reflex is firmer, more offroad, etc.

Decide what is more important to you, handling(safety), or a soft cushy ride(less safe). If price is no issue, and street performance is a major goal, buy Bilsteins. Good luck,

I should also mention Gabriels. Do they still sell Gabriels? Those worked great on the Bronco II and they are about $25-$30/shock. Good shock for the money.

aldive said:
I beg your pardon .... I run Rancho 9000x on my daily driver; best shock I have ever had.

if you read what i said above, they are expensive and although great, arent needed on a daily driver.... you have other mods done to your truck aldive.... your truck isnt stock....

Back