Larger shocks?

Mando

Reaction score
City, State
Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992, 2-door Explorer XL
I would appreciate your wise advice on the following issue:
I use my 4X4, 2 doors '92 Explorer mostly for Mexican by-ways traveling (bad roads). It has 31X10.5R15 BFGs mounted on ARE 15x8 steel wheels, with no lift, and it needs new shocks.
If shock absorbers for a Explorer are designed with light stock wheel-tire combos in mind, wouldn't be fine to mount shocks for a heavier ford (F150?) on my Explorer? I've noticed that big tired, lifted or race trucks often use double shocks for more control, but I don't want a ride too stiff for my daily driver, neither the extra cost of double shocks. One of this site's featured Explorers is lifted 4" and uses shocks designed for a 4" lifted F150, so I suppose a std height F150 shock will fit right on my Explorer.
Can any of you tell me if I'm wrong? Have any of you tried something like this before? Any comment? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about four wheeling (and yes, crazy ideas come often to my mind) so any input from you will be welcome.
Take care.

Mando

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely, the F150 shocks are designed completely differently.

Things to consider here-
Shocks are designed (valved) to provide certain amounts of damping at different lengths of extension. The normal extension of a shock on an F150 could be slightly longer or shorter than an Explorer when the vehicle is standing still.

The valving could also be different if the shock is mounted at a different angle i the two vehicles, because the angle changes the speed at which the shock compresses and rebounds, and that's part of the design too.

If the weight distribution of the two vehicles are different (likely the truck is lighter in the rear when compared to the Explorer because of the normally empty bed) then the valving is designed differently too.

Then there are more variables such as-
Is the vehicle used for towing, or is it mostly empty?

Hopefully this info will help answer your question.

Hola Mando,
Why not try the normal Edlebrocks for the Explorer. they would certainly be much better than what you have, and from almost everyone that has them, they work very well. See the link below for Edelbrocks for $54.39 posted by Skittles.
Dead Link Removed

If you have your heart set on using the Eddy's for a F-150, than take a look at this link. It is Jack Lobdell's Explorer and he used the Eddy's from a F-150 truck with 4" lift, and said it works real good. Just look down the page under "shocks". Of coarse the 4" shocks for his 4" lifted Explorer. The regular shocks might work for you. He gives a little reasoning for why he concluded that they would work. Hope this helps. Dead Link Removed
http://www.4x4central.com/jack.htm

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Come on guys! I need more comments on this!
(thanks J. Rosenberry and Ray lobato for your answers!)

I'm looking for the best buy for very little
money. I'd really like to buy the Eddys but they are out of my budget ( I'm
saving to build my house), so here are more questions:

Do you have any comment on Monroe Gas Magnums and Monroe Sensa Tracks for Explorers?
Do you know how much I need to expect to pay for them?

I would also like to receive more messages on what will happen if I mount F150 shocks on my truck!
It is very logical when I think on it but I do not really know. I think they
will give me more control with my heavy tires and wheels at high speed, and
soak bad city street bumps and pot holes better. I even think with larger
shocks I will be able to disconnect my anti-sway bar for city driving, but
again, I don't know.

Take care (and send me your reply!)

Mando

Hi Mondo-May I recommend a set of Rancho RS-5000s. I have them on my '91XLT for sometime now along with their sterring stabilizer. I'm running the stock rims with 31x10.5-15s at stock height. I like the firmness of the ride yet I don't think its too harsh. No more side to side roll or non- stop bouncing. Handles well on cornering too. Best of all it'll run you about $36 each or less. They also come with a lifetime warranty. The stabilizer ran me $54. Installation on them took about three hours with a floorjack, jackstands (not really needed) and common tools. There is some drilling to install the stabilzer, but its worth the time, effort and cost to have one. For the money vs performance I think these are a good value.

Sorry I posted the above message twice!

[This message has been edited by S.Matsushige (edited 09-09-1999).]

Back