Which Shocks should I put on my 98 Explorer Sport 4X4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Shocks should I put on my 98 Explorer Sport 4X4

Which shocks would you install for a smooth ride & good handling...

• KYB MONOMAX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OTHER (Please reply to posting with your recommendation and tell me why)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OSUV

Reaction score
City, State
Findlay, Ohio...GO BUCKEYES!!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Red/Gray 2DR Sport
Okay,

My rear shocks are ready to be replaced but I am overwhelmed by the various brands of shocks available for my 98 Sport so I really need some help in deciding which shocks to go with (both front and rear). I like a smoother ride yet overall handling is of utmost importance to me. Most of my driving is highway. (I am a real estate appraiser). I posted a poll thinking that I will get the most responses this way. If there is a brand/model not listed in my poll that you recommend, please choose other and offer your suggestion to me. With your help I can make an informed decision. PLEASE RESPOND!

Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays everyone,

Kevin
Findlay, OH :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh your from findlay, im from lima. The sensetracs are pretty good...buy them through summit or something not sears or midas( thieves).

If handling is of the upmost importance, the Bilsteins can't be beat. I've been quite impressed with the handling improvements the Bilsteins offered, and the drastic difference in damping compared to Sensatracs. The valving is just right for a sport SUV ride. Smooth on highway, but firm. Smooth offroad too, whether it's low-speed crawling or taking a dirt road. The only drawback to them versus less sporty shocks is the firm ride seems a bit rough when it comes to quick bumps, so those who are after a cushy luxury SUV ride probably won't like them.

The KYB Monomax is pretty good too, and their Gas-a-Just is one of, if not the best budget Monotube shock. For a smooth ride like stock, the Sensatrac is a good improvement over the OEM shocks. The Reflex is an okay in-between choice for those not wanting a true performance monotube, but still more damping than general replacement shocks.

I voted Bilstein, but you might want to consider adding Ranchos to the poll. I think people here have had good luck with Ranchos. What's the price difference between Ran. and Bil.?

Aloha, my Rancho boots rotted and they starting showing surface rust about a couple years after installing them. Their 240-hour salt-spray garantee is no match for our very salty, humid Hawaiian air, and especially so since i like to tool around the hot and breezy Kaena coastline (North Shore, Oahu) where a few of us locals like to do some lite off-roading. HOWEVER the ride with Ranchos on-road and off was great!

You might like the Edelbrock IAS shocks, too. These replaced my Ranchos and pavement ride is a little better than the RAnchos. Off-road ride is somewhat poorer as I tend to scrape planet Earth more than I did with the Ranchos.

And can someone correct me? I read somewheres that the stock shocks on the '95-'01 Explorers were basic Monroes. I have never tried the Sensatracs.

Back