which size rock crawler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which size rock crawler?

hey all -

i'm thinking about picking up a set of rock crawlers for my 01 sport 2wd.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...cat=WHE&prodline=3204&catName=WHEELS&man=TECH

I'm feeling the black ones!!

I still have my stock wheels/tires, the tires are 235/75-15.

I want to make sure I get the right size. I still plan on using my stock tires, so the rims will be the same size as well.

Is this the size I need?
15x8 Size 5x4.5 Bolt Pattern 3.75" Back Spacing

Thanks for the help!!
-mike

p.s. if anybody has some good pics of X's with these rock crawlers, please post pics!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup they will work.

Blee1099 said:
Yup they will work.

I seriously think he needs the exact same wheel in 15x7, not 15x8. Especially consider his tires are only about 8.5" wide.

ZachMan said:
I seriously think he needs the exact same wheel in 15x7, not 15x8. Especially consider his tires are only about 8.5" wide.

They don't make 8.5" wide rim.. Lots of members are running 33x12.5 & 35x12.5 on a 15x8 rim.. With a 8" wide rim, you can airdown to a lower PSI and not worry about popping a bead as compared to a 15x10 rim. You shouldn't have an issue with mounting a stock tire on a 15x8 rim. A 235/75/15 is 9.3" wide & 28.9" tall.

Those will work, I have the 15x8 black crock crawlers with 3.75" BS but they are the "d" style instead of the O you were looking at. Pics are in my sig.

bmxking5 said:
Those will work, I have the 15x8 black crock crawlers with 3.75" BS but they are the "d" style instead of the O you were looking at. Pics are in my sig.

hey i just checked out your cardomain site.

what does the steering stabilizer do? would it do any good on a 2001 with 57k on it? because I know 4 wheel parts is doing a sale right now - 4 new shocks plus a steering stabilizer for i think $100.

The steering stabilizer, I got b/c my steering box is starting to become worn out and has some play in the steering wheel. It did help. I noticed that it did help off-road when the steering wheel used to jerk around from the bumps, etc a lot more but it has improved with this. The other things it does are below from the 4WP site.

http://4wheelparts.com/4wp/products...an=RAN&parentProdline=SusShockRAN&expand=sub8

Blee1099 said:
They don't make 8.5" wide rim..

Uggh man he said he had 235/75s which means his tires are a little narrow to run an 8" wide rim.

Blee1099 said:
Lots of members are running 33x12.5 & 35x12.5 on a 15x8 rim.. With a 8" wide rim, you can airdown to a lower PSI and not worry about popping a bead as compared to a 15x10 rim .

Yeah, don't know why you posted all this. Its nothing I haven't known for years or haven't already run on my XJ, heck their are XJ guys running 35x12.50s on 15x7s, lol.

Blee1099 said:
You shouldn't have an issue with mounting a stock tire on a 15x8 rim.

He will his tires are too narrow. He said he was running stock 235x75s, I wouldn't go to 8" wide wheels till you run atleast 31x10.50s.

Sorry to bum off your thread but ive also got an 01 Sport cept ive got the 4x4, and when i asked my dealer (whos a good friend of mine) to find me a deal on rims he said when he asked his supplier a 15x10 5 on 4.5 would not fit on my explorer... Granted i have premium 16x7 inch rims stock the caliper is unchanged from the explorers when it has the 15 inch rims stock.... any suggestions? or dont my dealers suppliers know what they are talking about...?

slugmike said:
hey i just checked out your cardomain site.

what does the steering stabilizer do? would it do any good on a 2001 with 57k on it? because I know 4 wheel parts is doing a sale right now - 4 new shocks plus a steering stabilizer for i think $100.

Mike a steering stabilizer will not work on your truck. Your truck has Rack and Pinion and dosn't work the same.

However here is some help with your whele decision... ;)

12287wheel.jpg

12287the_truck.jpg

By the way mine are 15x8 w/ 3.75BS on 33x12.5x15

Back