Which tires for rock crawling and mudding? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which tires for rock crawling and mudding?

Which tires should I get for mudding, rock crawling, and running in snow? I have narrowed my choices down to a few.

1. BFG mud terrains
- reason is the 3 ply sidewals and are reasonably priced as well as I see them on rigs for mudding and rock crawling
2. Swamper Boggers
- reason is that they look cool and do well in snow and mud but how are they rock crawling?
3. Swampers
- reason is that they are sort of like the BFG's
4. Pro Comp mud terrains
- reason is that they are cheap compared to my other choices but I don't know how they would hold up on the rocks
5. Baja Claws only if I can get a really good deal.
- reason is that they are a good all around tire for offroading

The tires will be 35x12.5R15's or close to that size. I will need 5 so I want to get the best tire for the cheapest dollar if that makes sense.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95Ex.LTD The BFG muds do hum a little but do not "make alot of noise". They are quieter than some other's I've tried and I'm used to it. It would depend on you and you're dad. They are very good in my local mud and I think they handle everything else well too except ice.The ride is similiar to your KO's. I would describe it as firm but not harsh. Air pressure makes a difference and should be set according to load and ride. I got mine cheap. They are blems. That means they have some flaw but usually it is cosmetic. They wont sell a tire that's unsafe. When mine came in one did not have white letters so my tire shop got one that did. Another had some funny bumps on one tread block. I paid a little over $100 a piece so I jumped on it. I'm very pleased but these things like noise and ride are a little subjective.
Firestone makes a mud type atx that has smaller voids that I have used. They are not as good as the bfg's in mud but about as well in most other terrain but are quieter. FYI I don't like any street type tread like Long Trails or Michelns. I hate getting stuck and I think tires are probably second only to driving ability and experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have never got stuck with dads truck and this was the first time in 5 years we got stuck. We werent trying to mud or anything, we just went across a really really soft spot. Nothing a D-9 bulldozer cant handle :D

Brian,

I would stay away from the BFG's, and go for the TSL, the Bogger or the M/T Claw if reliability on the rocks is what your after. The BFgs sidewalls just are not up to it. The BFGs flex really nice and "grip" the rocks, but that leaves the sidewalls open to attack for sharp rocks, sticks etc.

The road manners of the TSls and the Boggers suck, but if I were looking for a rock crawling tire the BFGs wouldnt be on the list. I would over look the road manners and go with what will get me back. TSls Boggers, the Claw, and maybe the new SSR- it is supposed to have a decent sidewall(4 plyI think) soft rubber (for grip) siping, and good lateral tread, I am assuming the tread wear would be poor, and that the road manners would be somewhere between the TSLs and the BFGs. I havent used them but know some who have. Also the tread is pretty quiet on the street given the look of the tread. The TSl or the SSRs will be my next trail tire.

I have had vehicles with the BFgs- At and MUD, and with the TSls. The TSL is the choice of the three for me.

JMO other will shurly disagree.

[Edited by SteveVB on 12-04-2000 at 02:17 PM]

Originally posted by SteveVB
The BFgs sidewalls just are not up to it. The BFGs flex really nice and "grip" the rocks, but that leaves the sidewalls open to attack for sharp rocks, sticks etc.

Really? I thought they had 3 sidewalls for protection. My AT KO's do and I know because a rock took a chunk out of them in Colorado and they survived. Would the Swampers be worth another $30 a tire- $120 more? Are the sidewalls on them that much stronger? Thanks.

Yes,

In my opinion the 3 ply sidewall is not all its billed to be. I know a lot of people love the BFGs but I will never run them again on something bound for the trails. Sidewall cuts and slashes seem to be common, and are not repairable.

My personal experience with BFG muds has been a disaster- on my first Jeep I had some 31's and would get sidewall cuts and slashes all of the time. Big joke was my driving sucked- at that point true! But after someone else in our group got some new BFGs and he started to get the sidewall cuts I wondered if there wasnt more to it than my driving. One trip we had three sidewall slashes on 2 vehicles - 1 for me 2 for my friend. Luckily we had enough spares and plugs to get home. The tire store honored the warranty so it wasnt a matter of being out of something. Just sucks having a flat in the mud, on the rocks etc. After that anytime we went out and someone ran the bfgs we were extra careful about having enough spares.
I switched to 33 inch swampers and the sidewall cuts were there but the tire still held air at the end of the runs- they didnt ride as nice as the BFGs but they got me home. More recently I had some Ats that came on another truck I bought and truthfully not much has changed- I had some tread problems and a sidewall failure - failed on a building site I was checking out- hit a tree limb that was sticking up out of the ground. I thought the new TO or KO would be better but from what Ive heard doesnt sound like it. Ive owned a bunch of vehicles with many different brands of tires / and sizes and the only ones that ever failed me were the BFGs- and I had three sets of Firestone ATXs! Some of it was the conditions they were driven in, but for me I just wont buy them.

There is a discussion going on currently on another list I belong to, heres another opinion that makes sense to me:

"The BFG's are great for folks that are just breaking into the sport and not
going nuts on tough obstacles. They also seem to do just fine on the
slickrock out west. But for east coast rock, they seem to slice alot. :)

If you aren't driving it on the road, get the Boggers. If you still want to
tool around, get the SX's or whatever everybody else recommends."

Im just spouting my opinion, I dont have a beef with BFg- actually they took care of all of the problems I had- that may be one reason they are so popular- they do seem to be generous with the warranty replacements.

But for serious trail running I would stick with a heavy sidewalled bias ply tire like the Claw, the TSLs, or as mentioned above the TSL sx's. And maybe the SSRs - dont know still researching that one.

Sorry for the long post.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

I'll back a bogger statement with that...Call me nutz...Call me crazy....But when I'm only doin around town driving, I'll take the boggers to the street...Have I worn them alot because of this? Yes. Did I expect this? Yes. Are they good off-road? Yes. They throw mud, grip rocks and get quite the looks on the street...So depending on how the truck will be used, that should also help influence what you buy....I'm currently at college, so my truck isn't getting drivin much, so that's not a problem.
Pete

have you cosidered buckshot mudders? if i remember right the bias plys have an 8 ply sidewall, and a really deep tread. they are tall and skinny, and i think there is a size pretty close to 35". i know the Q78 size tire is 36" tall and 11" wide. hope this helps.

Buckshot mudders

Not to mention, one of the truck mags said they've got nearly an inch of tread...I've read an article about them and they liked em alot....I could be wrong on that height though...
Pete

Back