Which tires for rock crawling and mudding? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which tires for rock crawling and mudding?

Which tires should I get for mudding, rock crawling, and running in snow? I have narrowed my choices down to a few.

1. BFG mud terrains
- reason is the 3 ply sidewals and are reasonably priced as well as I see them on rigs for mudding and rock crawling
2. Swamper Boggers
- reason is that they look cool and do well in snow and mud but how are they rock crawling?
3. Swampers
- reason is that they are sort of like the BFG's
4. Pro Comp mud terrains
- reason is that they are cheap compared to my other choices but I don't know how they would hold up on the rocks
5. Baja Claws only if I can get a really good deal.
- reason is that they are a good all around tire for offroading

The tires will be 35x12.5R15's or close to that size. I will need 5 so I want to get the best tire for the cheapest dollar if that makes sense.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Brian,
After seeing some of those pictures of you getting stuck you better add another one to your list.
THE TRACKS! You know those ones that look like a snowcat tread. lol

Actually, I didn't get stuck once that weekend! Tracks... those are a little more expensive than I plan on spending. I admit it would be cool. I don't think they make those for a 1942 vehicle anyway. The tires are going to be for my J**p build up (I don't care if it gets dented, scratched, etc unlike my Explorer). Any more suggestions?

Brian I don't really know. So far I like the Big "O" tires, but I did find out they aren't the best on light snow. They did good at Ouray, but haven't really had a chance to really give them a work out.
I do like being able to take them to any Big "O" store and they will rotate them or balance them no charge. I know you won't drive the Jeep much on the road.
Don't know if that helps any.

Originally posted by Perry
I know you won't drive the Jeep much on the road.

Thanks Perry. I am really looking for a more aggressive tire than the Big O's. The J**p will always be trailered on the pavement so I am not too woried about rotating and other stuff.

Brian how is your CJ project coming? I remember you posted you bought a pipe bender to make some stuff for it. I have a 78 CJ5 but it's way to much for me right now so I'm selling it and buying nicer CJ7.

I'm looking at the 38.5 Swampers. However 35 Boggers are super nice and lots of wheelers around here use that setup.

Hey Brian Your best bet here in town is BFG mudders Discount has 33's for 127.00 so i'm guessing 35's should be around 10.00 more

Brian,
I was at the four by shop last night and he runs the tires like Rick has. He said her really likes them a lot, but his buddy had a pair and didn't like them at all, so I guess it's up to the person on which one is good.

i like my dunlop mud rovers. they have siping in the middle tread too, so they grip on rocks pretty well. especially when aired to about 12 or so....just my 2 cents

Boggers are definately nice but forr off road...I have them on my truck for local trips and some emergencys to the 4x4 shop...they're not that bad at 70 mph...people would be amazed at how they are when goin that speed! I love mine!
Pete

Thanks for all your replies. I think I have narrowed it down to the Boggers, Swampers SSR, or the BFG mud terrains.

How do the Boggers do with rockcrawling? I mean serious rockcrawling like in the 4x4 magazines. I would think the big lugs on the outside would rip on the sharp rocks.

The BFG's seem to be the cheapest of the 3 so I will probably get them. I am already spending too much $ on new axles, hubs, lockers, metal for rollbar, seats, gas tank, leaf springs, 4 pt harnesses, etc.

I payed 1200 mounted on eagle 589s shipped to my door....I would assume they're awesome on rocks, seein as how everyone uses them

-disclaimer-
now pete....before i say this, im not challenging the boggers, im just sayin what i feel!! hehe Dead Link Removed

the one thing that i see bad about the boggers are their lateral traction. they don't have much to keep you from sliding sideways. that would really be the only thing that id be weary about......pete...did you have a problem with sliding sideways? of course that was super slick mud, so i dunno....

Yes, I had a problem sliding sideways, but the mud I was in, nothing but an foot long spiked tired would stop...So, but damn, they can throw mud! I know that, and lots of J**ps use em in the rocks, so I think they're pretty good
Pete

GOODYEAR MT/Rs Thats the tire you need lol

bfg owner

I run Mud Terrains on my f 150 and like them alot. I don't get the chance to rock crawl but work great on every thing else. The original swampers were less than nice on the road but if you are offroad only might be ok. No experience with Boggers. There are also some cheap mudders that work good but you may not get as many miles out of them and they are a little noiser in on pavement. Sport IV's, Mud Kings(a BFG made tire), and Dominator MT's are all tires I've used and think would work as something in the Mud Terrain line of thought.For mud I like a thinner tire and have very seriously considered Buckshot Radial Mudders.P.S. I only run radials. Good Luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, as far as for mudding dont get BFG Longtrails! But they're terrific for everything else! Me and dad got stuck earlier this evening and we had Longtrails instead of my Ko's. They do ok in some mud, but this was thick slick sucky mud. The problem with Longtrails is that mud packs into those grooves so fast and the tire becomes totally slick. We havent tried the KO's out in mud yet. 4x4, my dad has an 89 F-150, kicks @$$, it sees alot of water and mud, but it sees alot of road also. Would the BFG Mud Terrains be worth the price? Because he wouldnt want to pay alot for them if he doesnt use them in mud or dirt alot, and I'm sure he wouldnt want them to make alot of noise or make a rough ride.

Back